VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

Lifecycle manager and HPE servers

I was read Lifecycle manager document as I understood with t we can do follow tasks :

1 - updae esxi

2- update vcsa

3- if using HPE server can via SPP can update firmware and all drivers on server

Is that correct or can do other things ?

4 - As I understood we had to just use ILO Ampifier and integrate it with vcsa is that correct or in adition had to deploy oneview for lifecycle manager ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
8 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Yes, correct. you can integrate vLCM. Below are the blog you can following it.

Registering HPE ILO amplifier pack (Hardware support manager) with vCenter 7 Lifecycle manager

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

1- What is vendor addon  ?

2- Can we use lifecycle manager for update vcsa or it is using just for esxi ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1- What is vendor addon  ?

Vendor AddOns contain drivers, and tools which server vendors need to run ESXi on their hardware. The default VMware ESXi image + the Vendor AddOn are comparable to a vendor customized ESXi image.

2- Can we use lifecycle manager for update vcsa or it is using just for esxi ?

Lifecycle Manager is used to manage ESXi hosts.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

About question 2 :

Esxi Version means such as : VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update02-13006603.x86_64   " This is esxi default image"

Vendor Addon means :  VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-Update2-13006603-HPE-Gen9plus-670.U2.10.4.1.8-Apr2019   "This is esxi HPE customize"

Now,  when we are using HPE server don't need choose any ESxi Version and just had to select Vendor Addon

or ESXI version field is mandatory ?

Would you say an example about ESXi Version and Vendor Addon ?

BR

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Below are the explanation. Hope you got it.
vLCM Desired State Image vSphere Lifecycle Manager (vLCM) on HPE | Virtual Blocks

A vLCM desired state image consists of the following elements:

• ESXI Version (Required)
  • Vendor Addon (optional)
  • Firmware and Drivers Addon (optional)

ESXi Version: The base image is an ESXi release version that contains an image of VMware ESXi Server and additional components such as drivers and adapters that are necessary to bring up a server. This is the only required element.

Vendor Add-on: A vendor add-on is a collection of software components for the ESXi hosts that OEMs create and distribute. This vendor add-on can contain drivers, patches, and solutions. For HPE this is called the HPE Customization for HPE Servers.

Firmware and Drivers Add-on: The firmware and drivers add-on is a special type of vendor add-on designed to assist in the firmware update process. It contains firmware for a specific server type and corresponding drivers. To add a firmware and drivers add-on to your image, you must install the HPE Hardware Support Manager plug-in for the hosts in the respective cluster.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not exactly. AddOns are only the additional modules, not a whole vendor customized image.

To find out which AddOns are available, see e.g. https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphe...

Maybe vSphere 7 - Lifecycle Management - VMware vSphere Blog helps to better understand the logic behind Lifecycle Manager.

André

baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks.

Thus when I have installed VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-9484548-HPE-Gen9plus-670.10.3.5.6-Sep2018_2.iso , now in lifecycle manager for ESXi version had to select VMware-ESXi-7.0-9484548-HPE-Gen9plus.iso

1- is that correct ?

2 - for ADDon according to " https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=ADDON_ESXI700_HPE&productId=974  "

will select it

3- and for Firmware and Driver Addon will select latest SPP iso pack for HPE server . but if I select Addon and also select Firmware and Driver Addon and there was a common package in both of them it will be Auto detect and install latest version  ?

BR

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Also , Is that possible just update Firmware and addons with lifecycle manager and not update ESXi ?

0 Kudos