VMware Cloud Community
jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 6.0 - Upgrade and Licensing

Hi Folks,

I have a Dell PowerEdge R730 server that is hosting VMware ESXi 6.0 - managed by vSphere Client 6.0. The license is VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus - 1 socket. Based on the existing license, can I do the following:

1. Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.7?
  2. Install and use vCenter?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Yaz

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You only have a 1-socket vSphere license, you cannot use that on 2 different hosts.

You need another vSphere license for the additional host, plus a vCenter Standard license for your vCenter Server.

Then you can deploy vCenter Server (use the VCSA), get it to manage both your hosts, create the cluster, enable it for HA and DRS, move both hosts into the cluster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

11 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.7?

Technically? Yes you can, because the R730 is certified for 6.7 and the license key is the same for all 6.x version.

Legally? It depends. If your SnS runs out years ago where 6.5 was the most recent version than youre not allowed to use vSphere ESXi 6.7 with that license key you bought long time ago. You can use that version which was the current one as your Subscription runs off.

Install and use vCenter?

Well, you can install the Eval version which ends after 60 days. Otherwise the answer is no because for a vCenter Instance a valid license key is needed. You need a vCenter Foundation or Standard one. You can not use the cheap vCenter Essentials!

Regards,

Joerg

jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Joerg.

So, theoretically, my license is valid for any 6.x version. It would be even fine to upgrade it to 6.5. Can you please let me know where I can verify if SnS has run out and if I can install 6.7?

Best

Yaz

0 Kudos
jncie2197
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you can install the Eval version which ends after 60 days

Rachit Gupta
CCIEx3 #29824 JNCIE #2197 VCIX-NV
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

jasmink

You have to log into your MyVMware.com  portal and take a look to the licenses and the contracts. There is a start and end date for every contract. The license keys are also displayed.

Regards,
Joerg

jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks, Joerg.

0 Kudos
jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Other questions popped into my mind. My VMware ESXi is licensed for one physical CPU. If I decide to upgrade my server with an additional CPU, do I need to buy a new license or I can upgrade the existing one by paying only the difference?

Can I use Vmware HA and DRS with the existing license?

Best regards

Jasmin

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My VMware ESXi is licensed for one physical CPU. If I decide to upgrade my server with an additional CPU, do I need to buy a new license or I can upgrade the existing one by paying only the difference?

Another CPU means another license.

vSphere Enterprise Plus supports HA and DRS, but you will need all hosts in your cluster licensed PLUS a licensed vCenter Server.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As additional note to scotts answer.

Other questions popped into my mind. My VMware ESXi is licensed for one physical CPU. If I decide to upgrade my server with an additional CPU, do I need to buy a new license or I can upgrade the existing one by paying only the difference?

There is no need for offering an "upgrade" for that task which only make the SKU list much worst as needed.

There is no drawback that you have to buy a new single 1 CPU ESXi license because after you bought it you can combine both 1 CPU licenses to a 1x 2 CPU within the MyVMware portal. After that you can assign this  license key to your 2 pCPU Server.

For sure you can combine only license keys which are the same Edition like your "Enterprise Plus".

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

vSphere Enterprise Plus supports HA and DRS, but you will need all hosts in your cluster licensed PLUS a licensed vCenter Server.

I am planning to build a cluster with two servers. It is not clear to me, can I use the existing license on both servers, or I need to buy a new Enterprise Plus license for the second server - and then build a cluster? Thank you.

Best

Yaz

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You only have a 1-socket vSphere license, you cannot use that on 2 different hosts.

You need another vSphere license for the additional host, plus a vCenter Standard license for your vCenter Server.

Then you can deploy vCenter Server (use the VCSA), get it to manage both your hosts, create the cluster, enable it for HA and DRS, move both hosts into the cluster.

jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, thank you for the clarification.

0 Kudos