VMware Communities
Suntin0
Contributor
Contributor

Operating system not found

Im trying to install window 95 and windows 3.51 but when i turn it on it says operating system not found.

Im running workstation 16 pro

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That usually happens when the VM has no boot device that contains a bootable image or media.

For example, an ISO image of a regular CD-ROM, or a floppy disc that wasn't formatted to be bootable.

What is your installation media and how is the VM set to boot from it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Suntin0
Contributor
Contributor

I got a iso as the installer

can you give me steps on how do make so it finds tthe operating system?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 used floppy boot disks (there weren't even CDs when Windows 3.1 came out) - so you need the boot floppy that came with the Win95 CD to boot from - so it will load the drivers for the CD-ROM and then launch the remaining part of the setup.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Connect the CD/DVD Drive of the VM to the ISO

2. Make sure you check the "Connect at power on" box

Configuring CD-ROM and DVD Drive Status and Connection Settings

That should be it - assuming the ISO is bootable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Suntin0
Contributor
Contributor

it does not work

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In which case I suspect your ISO is not bootable or damaged.

0 Kudos
Suntin0
Contributor
Contributor

thats weird because i tried installing windows 95 on 3 differant iso

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

...and as I said above, Windows 95 CDs were NOT bootable!  They came with at least 1 floppy boot disk to use to start the installation process!  Win95 was still a GUI shell that ran on top of DOS - and DOS needed to be installed first.

0 Kudos