VMware Communities
A1MB1G
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Default To Pasting Last Copy Instead of List Pop-Up For Copy/Paste?

Is there a way to set VMWare Fusion to not present a list of the recently copied text items but rather simply just paste the last copied item? I've noticed when I copy text on my MacOS and then go to paste it in the VM Windows guest OS, a little pop-up comes up with a list of the 5 most recently copied items. I'd like it to simply default to the last copied item. Any settings that can be adjusted for this?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I know what you mean.. I sometimes do the same thing by mistake.

When you press "Command-V" in Windows then what you are actually pressing according to Windows is "Windows key+V" and that is a special Windows 10 feature where it shows you a list of the last 5 items in your clipboard.

In Windows the correct key to paste is "Control+V" and that's when you only get the pasted item you want.

I -think- you can customize your "Command+V" key combo to work as a "Control+V" combo by configuring the guest keyboard (menu -> VMware Fusion -> Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> look at the mappings down there.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've never seen that, and not sure where that functionality might actually come from.  It sounds like an addon inside the guest.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Yah, we don't do that...

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
A1MB1G
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yah, we don't do that..

What does that mean, you don't do that? If I press CMD-C in MacOS and then CMD-V in the guest OS (Windows) in VMWare Fusion, the little dialogue window pops up in the bottom right corner asking me which of the 5 previously copied items do I want to paste. I want to know if there's a way I can just have it default to the most recent one without having to take the extra step to select one of the 5 previously copied items.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What does that mean, you don't do that?

Exactly what he said.  He's the main product development person for Fusion and Workstation.  If he says it's not something VMware does, then I believe him.  Personally, I have never seen such a popup list myself.  It *must* be some 3rd party add-on either in your Windows guest or your Mac host which is retaining a clipboard history.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I know what you mean.. I sometimes do the same thing by mistake.

When you press "Command-V" in Windows then what you are actually pressing according to Windows is "Windows key+V" and that is a special Windows 10 feature where it shows you a list of the last 5 items in your clipboard.

In Windows the correct key to paste is "Control+V" and that's when you only get the pasted item you want.

I -think- you can customize your "Command+V" key combo to work as a "Control+V" combo by configuring the guest keyboard (menu -> VMware Fusion -> Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> look at the mappings down there.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
A1MB1G
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did the trick - thank you!!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Interesting, didn't know that was a windows feature.

FWIW, that's the default mapping when you build a new VM.  But it does explain why I get the darn windows menu popping up when I try to cmd-something and don't do the -something fast enough.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It's been there for a few years now I think.

The keyboard mapping list should probably be updated for recent versions of Windows 10.

Like the emoji picker: Control+Command+Space in macOS is Windows key+"." in Windows 10.

There's probably some more mapping suggestions one could propose.

Show desktop comes to mind (F11 on macOS versus Windows+D on Win10)

edit: don't do show desktop, sorry bad idea (it's already mapped to full screen in most browsers)

--

Wil

0 Kudos