VMware Cloud Community
meepsie206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New-SpbmRuleSet missing -Server attribute

I prefer to set  Connect-VIServer to a variable and -NotDefault then then set the -Server attribute on any Get-* New-* cmdlets. E.G.

$viserver = Connect-VIServer -Server vc1 -Credential $cred -NotDefaultGet-VMHost -Server $viserver

However the New-SpbmRuleSet doesn't have a -Server attribute but errors if there is not a Default connection set.

Working example but doesn't limit to a specific vCenter.  Needs extra logic to ensure only one vCenter is in the default varriable.

Connect-VIServer -Server vc1 -Credential $cred New-SpbmRuleSet -AllOfRules $rules

Prefered code but fails with unkown -Server attribute

$viserver = Connect-VIServer -Server vc1 -Credential $cred New-SpbmRuleSet -Server $viserver -AllOfRules $rules

Is there a work-around although this looks like an over-sight in the cmdlet?

Otherwise anyone know how to report a bug / feature request for PowerCli so that I can register an interest in having the -Server attribute added to the New-SpbmRuleSet cmdlet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can open an SR for PowerCLI.

If GSS incorrectly claims you need a Developer contract for that point them to PowerCLI Support Breakdown

There is also the PowerCLI Ideas site where you can create ideas/suggestions for PowerCLI.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can open an SR for PowerCLI.

If GSS incorrectly claims you need a Developer contract for that point them to PowerCLI Support Breakdown

There is also the PowerCLI Ideas site where you can create ideas/suggestions for PowerCLI.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

On the missing Server parameter, is that really required on the New-SpbmRuleSet?
You have to specify the Rules parameter (required), and on the New-SpbmRule, which you use to create rules, there is a Server parameter.

0 Kudos
meepsie206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your replies LucD.  It is much appreciated.

I hoped your suggestion was the answer when I first discovered the issue and New-SpbmRuleSet would indeed use the rule connection and not need a specific one.  However, when tested with just a specific connection, the rules create but not the rule set, failing with the error "No available connection to vCenter,  connect and try again" (para phrased).

I will use the links to raise an SR.

0 Kudos