VMware Cloud Community
danieldiasabb
Contributor
Contributor

High CPU Usage while copying file. VMs Crashed

Hi,

I have a ESXi 5.1 server running 5 Win Server 2008 VM.

I powered off one of the the VMs to copy the VM files (280GB) to another data storage that I mounted from a NAS to backup purpose.

After ~5hours the Windows Servers have crashed due to high CPU.

On the first attached, It is cleared to see that when it started to copying large files, the CPU usage hit the 100% several times.

On the second attached we can see the cpu usage while the files were being copied. A t the beggining of the chart, there was 3 files being copied. In the middle, there was 2 files and at the end just one file.

Have you ever seen such behavior? Is there any thing I should do to avoid it?

Can you please advise?

Thanks

Daniel

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Daniel,

First, ESXi 5.1 is an ancient relic that had end of general support in 2016.

Second, what you're seeing is unfortunate, but I have seen something similar before and it the reason was that VM Monitoring was enabled and that the ESXi host didn't receive heartbeats from VMware Tools service in time. In 5.1 I've seen it reboot VMs that had 100% load even if sensitivity was set to Low and it was set to VM Monitoring Only:

HA VM Monitoring Settings 2

Lars

0 Kudos