VMware Communities
WalterGR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can a paid VMware Fusion 12 Player license be downgraded?

I am currently on Fusion 8.  I wanted to upgrade to Fusion 11, but in the middle of my researching that upgrade, Fusion 12 was released and 11 is no longer available for purchase.

Can a paid VMware Fusion 12 Player license be downgraded to Fusion 11?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The next version of Fusion 11, which should be shipping in Oct November, will support a v12 license key.

Edit: The date was moved to align with security updates

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I can't recall if there's a way to downgrade the license key itself in MyVMware, but Fusion 11.5.6 and later supports using a Fusion 12 key. (So Player 'paid' would unlock Fusion 11.5.6 'standard')

-
0 Kudos
WalterGR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just purchased Fusion 12 Player and entered the license key into Fusion 11.5.6.

It does not work, saying that the license key is not valid.

I copy-and-pasted the license key, so I know that it was entered correctly.

ss 2020-09-22 at 16.39.03.png

Further, I can confirm that I am unable to downgrade the license via my.vmware.com.  When I select "DOWNGRADE LICENSE KEYS", no products are listed.

Is there a way to remedy this situation or should I request a refund?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's supposed to work, could be a bug... can you email me and we can discuss directly?  mroy at vmware dot com

I have no problem with a refund, but the latest version of Fusion 11 was updated to accept v12 license keys, so it _should_ work unless something went wrong.

-
0 Kudos
ratulo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi is there any solution to use fusion player 12 licence with version 11.5.3? I have same problem- licence downgrade not working and 11.5.3 not accept 12 licence key.

Looking forward for your replies.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The next version of Fusion 11, which should be shipping in Oct November, will support a v12 license key.

Edit: The date was moved to align with security updates

-
0 Kudos
WalterGR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> The next version of Fusion 11, which should be shipping in Oct, will support a v12 license key

I use Fusion for work.  I cannot upgrade to macOS Catalina, which is the minimum OS version Fusion 12 supports, and hence I need to use Fusion 11.

My Fusion 11 trial expires in 4 days.

Will the next version of 11 be released by then?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

No, we're about a month out.

Drop me an email and we should be able to help.

mroy at vmware

-
0 Kudos
VmUser2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

does the VMware Fusion 11.5.6 | 6 August 2020 | Build 16696540 supports the FREE Personal user Licence for Fusion player 12? I use 10.14 Mojave so I cannot use the fusion player 12. thank you 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@VmUser2021 

No, the concept of Fusion Player is new to version 12. Version 11 cannot use version 12 keys.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jkeldogs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see you have the free Mac Fusion 12 for home use but you need Catalina. Is there any way to get a free Fusion 11 for Mojave or if it's still available as a paid version. Thanks for any information.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@jkeldogs 
As I mentioned on this thread the concept of Player is new to Fusion 12.

You can buy a Fusion license for 12 and downgrade it to get a key for 11.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
jkeldogs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, thanks for the information. It wasn't clear to me that these are different products.

0 Kudos
jkeldogs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to be clear, from what I looked at, the cost for Fusion 11 is $79.00 which is the same product which is now free correct? Then, I would have to downgrade it. Since the new product is free, are there any discounts for Fusion 11?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@jkeldogs 

No, the paid license for Fusion 11 is the equivalent of what is now Fusion 12 Pro - not Fusion 12 Player which is free for non-commercial use.

Your choices are:

1. Buy a Fusion 12 Pro license, use Fusion 12 Pro

2. Buy a Fusion 12 Pro license, downgrade it to a Fusion 11 license key, use Fusion 11

3. Use Fusion 12 Player for free (if for non-commercial use)

0 Kudos
jkeldogs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, thanks for clarifying the products as I was a bit confused by the different versions compared with the new ones.

0 Kudos
Gbraz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I bought VMware Fusion 12 but need to downgrade to 10. The website does not allow me to downgrade the licence. I have 14 days before my trial ends. Please advise how I downgrade my licence asap so I can input the licence key! Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Gbraz 
Why v10? You have tried this process? https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665#Downgrade

0 Kudos
Hello15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I  have the same problem. I am running Sierra so I need version 10. I'm able to download it but cannot register or buy it. Is it possible to buy 12 and downgrade to 10? Or the better-for-my-checkbook version - can I apply the 12 home license to 10? (which I expect is no).

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Hello15 

A v12 license key will not work with the v10 software, you will need to downgrade your license - the link in my reply above yours is how to do that.

0 Kudos