VMware Horizon Community
JOPRATT
Contributor
Contributor

What is the recommended way to back up Desktop and Favorites in a non-persistent environment?

In my old workplace we used Ivanti AppSense to manage the user environment, which allowed us migrate user settings AND user data between physical desktops and non-persistent virtual machines. In my current workplace we are just starting to use DEM, which looks to have some of the same functionality as AppSense in terms of managing user settings. What I cant find is what the recommendation is for handling desktop files and favorites. Desktop redirection doesn't seem like the right move, and we are also trying to move away from our current use of writable volumes.

What is the best/recommended way to handle these types of files?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
domdsouza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use DEM in our environment for favorites. For the Desktop, we only backup .lnk files using DEM. We train our users to not store files on their desktop. They will lose them when they sign out. we re-direct Documents and Pictures to a path in their Home Share. It works well for us.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are an O365 Shop, and have recently used OneDrive with the Desktop.  It's kinda like redirection...but it just Syncs the desktop items.  Works well for non-persistent desktops as well...especially when using Microsoft's FSLogix.

Ref:  Redirect and move Windows known folders to OneDrive - OneDrive | Microsoft Docs

0 Kudos