VMware Communities
saintmino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 16 Pro Requirements for new Laptop

Hello, I'm getting a new laptop with the following specs below:

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10710U Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz, 6 cores)

16 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, Integrated

512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid-State Drive

Trying to see if this is sufficient to run VMWare Workstation 16 Pro with Windows 10 Pro in it. I use the VM to connect to customer network to do work and use the main laptop OS (Windows 10 Home) for emails and internet surfing. From what I understand, VMWare Workstation doesn't utilize the the turbo boost capability and from what I could find online it says the processor type I have starts at 1.1Ghz which I think is below the minimum requirements for VMWare Workstation 16 Pro. However, not sure if having the multi-core will compensate for this.

Would like to know if this laptop spec is under-spec'd for what I need to run VMWare or not. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Specs are more than sufficient.

Remember when computers used to be single core and had spinning hard disks? Those can run Workstation.

The only limitation these days is making sure you have a recent generation CPU. Some features require Skylake or newer, and you're well beyond that.

> "VMWare Workstation doesn't utilize the the turbo boost capability"

The host handles that, not Workstation. You're good, nice looking system, should run VMs rather nicely.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Specs are more than sufficient.

Remember when computers used to be single core and had spinning hard disks? Those can run Workstation.

The only limitation these days is making sure you have a recent generation CPU. Some features require Skylake or newer, and you're well beyond that.

> "VMWare Workstation doesn't utilize the the turbo boost capability"

The host handles that, not Workstation. You're good, nice looking system, should run VMs rather nicely.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
saintmino
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LOL. Yes, I remember the single core days. Thanks for confirming the specs. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos