VMware Cloud Community
BogdanPaul
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Orchestrator 7.4.0 - Adding powershell host linux

Hi all,

I'm very new to vRO and I would need your help with a challenge i have.

Scenario is the following:

I'm trying to add a powershell host to vRealize Orchestrator (obviously, title Smiley Happy )

The app server runs o a linux machine (SLES 11 to be exact), powershell, windows.

I'm running these host type settings below and i think winRM set up on the powershell machine should be ok.

Unauthorized auth, basic auth, etc. I set that already. client and service

pastedImage_2.png

What i get when running the add host workflow is: "Unauthorized Access. Authentication mechanism requested by the client may not be supported by the server"

After several tries, my genius mind thought it could be because WinRM as only option for the remote host type and linux doesn't understand winRM

Before wasting time in wrong directions, could this be the case?

And if so, how should i set up the powershell host?

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, a remote PowerShell host implies a Windows system.

0 Kudos
BogdanPaul
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply.

well, i though so too until a couple of hours ago, but then i found this How to Add a Linux Machine as PowerShell Host in vRO - VMware Blogs and i guess there is powershell for some linux distributions as well.

Although really cool article, does not help my issue. Adding a windows powershell host to a vRO running on linux.

As my only option is WinRM as host type (no SSH as in the article above), i will try installing the winRM python package for linux.

Did anyone had similar cases or experiences?

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert

OK, I think we are all confused out here (at least I am).  So vRO is on a linux system (of course, it is an appliance).  Where is your WinRM server?  Windows or Linux. 

If Windows, then vRO can work with it just fine. Most people do this all the time.

If Linux, then I have no idea how you would enable WinRM service on Linux or even why you would want to given that ssh is more stable and repeatable.  If you are looking to run powershell scripts on a linux system, then just ssh to an account that has pwsh as the login shell and you are off.

Carl L.

BogdanPaul
Contributor
Contributor

You are right Carl, thanks for pointing it out. I guess i was not very clear.

It made sense to me when starting the threat but going through the wording a few days later i understand the confusion.

But yes, vRO is running on linux, Powershell, WinRM on windows.

Just to confirm this would be the right approach and not waste too much time trying things that will not work anyways, the way to go ahead would be to install winRM python package for linux and open a winRM session? And try adding the powershell host once this is done?

if yes i guess i need to wait one more week until the linux admin (there is only one guy in the company Smiley Happy ) returns from vacation because i anyway don't have the right privilege and the linux machine does not even have access to internet (for trying to install packages)

Cheers,

Bogdan

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert

OK, that sounds reasonable 🙂  So for the vRO appliance, you don't need to add any packages.  Just add the PS host.  A copupe of notes though: I have found that the authentication depends upon the user account you are using.  If it is a local account on the windows box, then use Basic.  If it is an AD account, then use Kerberos.  And for an AD account, you may have to set up /etc/krb5.conf for your AD environment.

Hope that helps,

Carl L.

BogdanPaul
Contributor
Contributor

And there is a key piece of information there that helped so much. The one regarding using Kerberos for AD accounts.

There were a few iterations setting up krb5.conf until i got the params and params letter cases right, but eventually worked.

Thanks so much for the help Carl. I'm happy now :smileygrin:

Wish you an even happier day,

Bogdan

0 Kudos