VMware Communities
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to compact/expand a VMware disk from the command line?

[Linux Mint 19.3, VMware Player v16]

I can't seem to find any recent documentation that describes the process that will allow me to compact or expand a VMware disk from the command line. It's simple enough from the GUI, but I'd like to be able to schedule regular maintenance on my VMs.

Is this feature still possible? I was able to find this, but only for super-old products that referenced CLI tools that don't exist anymore.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try my post here:

Shrink guest on hosted platform - VI-Toolkit

it should have everything you need, but .. if you want to run it from the host then you're bound to run into a missing vmware-vdiskmanager for vmware player....

I think you're going to be really better off installing VMware Workstation Professional and then using the player that's bundled in there.

Yes I know you would install a bit too much, but it has the other parts that you need/want.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try my post here:

Shrink guest on hosted platform - VI-Toolkit

it should have everything you need, but .. if you want to run it from the host then you're bound to run into a missing vmware-vdiskmanager for vmware player....

I think you're going to be really better off installing VMware Workstation Professional and then using the player that's bundled in there.

Yes I know you would install a bit too much, but it has the other parts that you need/want.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos