VMware Communities
SalDo
Contributor
Contributor

Screen tearing when using exclusive mode in Workstation Pro 16

After going into exclusive mode in Workstation 16 (and 15) there is apparent screen tearing, it's especially obvious when moving around windows.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could u provide detailed steps to reproduce the issue? Thanks

0 Kudos
SalDo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, after booting up the VM and going full screen there is no tearing when eg. violently moving windows around, if I then go into "View" and select "Exclusive Mode" to go into exclusive mode and then move the window I can clearly see tearing. After leaving exclusive mode by pressing ctrl + alt and moving the window around again the tearing stops. The tearing only happens in exclusive mode, I'm guessing that exclusive mode is not vsynced to my screen.

0 Kudos
V3DT
Contributor
Contributor

I've noticed this when WS Pro 16 first released & tried it on a Windows 10 20H2 host.

Nvidia RTX 20XX series GPU, multiple monitors are connected to the host.

Now even after testing the newest version of WS Pro 16 I can confirm this is still an issue.

Exclusive Mode or full screen mode with the toolbar set to be completely hidden.

My guess this is something to do with windows 10 full screen optimizations. If every pixel is filled with the VM's display tearing happens but if one pixel of the monitor is displaying something outside the VM, tearing stops.

Workarounds I know of,

1. don't set the toolbar to completely hide the edge in full screen mode
2. you could just not run the VM full screen
3. run the VM at one less line of resolution than your monitor in full screen mode, example 2560x1440, run the VM at 2560x1439, tearing will no longer happen.

0 Kudos