VMware Cloud Community
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

Want get-VIEvent to return a lot of powered off (date) events

As I understand it the events get rolled up into zip files and I want to be able to get a LOT of events (when powered off) on over 100 vm's. The get-VIEvent will only parse the initial file if I understand correctly, so if I know where the files are and their names I can possibly work around this limitation. What I get returned is only about a month old.

tia

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What are you talking about?

Did you use the MaxSamples parameter?
By default the cmdlet only returns 100 events.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

I read elsewhere that the events logged in virtual center dont ALL go into one file, that eventually older ones get zipped up and I am guessing get-VIEvent only works with the active file. I changed the max value to 1000 and still get the same result of not much more than a month's worth of dates for when a VM has been powered off. Unless what I read is wrong. I just still want to know what file this cmdlet works on.

My basic motivation is I want to see if some VMs haven't been turned off in a very long time so I can justify to my boss these basically are not in use and should be deleted.

...ar

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure where you read that ( a link could help), but afaik the events are kept in the VCSA database.

The retention of events is determined by a VCSA Advanced Setting (event.maxAge).

To get the maximum number of events, you could use

Get-Vievent -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos