VMware Communities
gerdgoebel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No sound after importing Parallels W8.1 VM into Fusion 12

I am new to VMWare.

I downloaded Fusion 12 onto my Mac (10.15.6), then imported a Parallels VM with Win8.1. Everything worked fine, I installed the VMware Tools. Rebooted the VM. I added the shared folders from my Mac I need for some of my Windows apps.

Everything works I just don't have any sound. Under Virtual Machine the sound card settings use System Default for input and output. I also tried Build-in Output and Built-in Microphone, but sound still does not work.

I have not figured out yet, how to get the sound to work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gerd

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Gerd,

The first thing I would try is to remove the virtual sound card from the VM and add it back in again.

I would do that with the VM shut down. It might work when running, but unsure about that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Gerd,

The first thing I would try is to remove the virtual sound card from the VM and add it back in again.

I would do that with the VM shut down. It might work when running, but unsure about that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi gerdgoebel ,

Could you try the following steps?

1.Shutdown the imported W8.1 VM

2.Remove the sound card via VM settings -> Sound Card -> Remove Sound Card,

3.Re-add it via VM settings -> Add Devices... -> Sound Card

Hope that could help.

gerdgoebel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This resolved my problem. Sound is working in W8.1 and W10 now.

Thank you.

0 Kudos