VMware Cloud Community
rsanchez714
Contributor
Contributor

Does vmware offer any ova or ovf with vcenter 7.0d installed?

Hello,

I'm having trouble setting up my vcenter using the latest 7.0D ISO. Is there an option where I could download the OVA or OVF template with vcenter already installed and working?

If so, can you please point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advanced!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What sort of “trouble”? How are you attempting to do the installation, and what errors do you see?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey,

Well the right direction is to try to fix the installation as the installer is quite easy to use. Must probably i could be failing because of no satisfying requirements such as NTP, DNS, IP Connectivity, etc. If you post your errors here and details your environment we will be glad to help.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Offering a ready to run OVF/OVA doesnt make to much sense because during the installation you have to make some decision which cant be change afterwards or it would needs a lot of efforts to do so.

• SSO Domain (cant change)
  • Size of the VCSA (needs a lot of effort)
  • FQHN (In earlier version not changeable. But since 6.7u3 you can)

During the installation the VCSA Install Wizard deploy a OVF.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
rsanchez714
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I actually downloaded the ISO from VmWare, however, when I boot to the ISO, it will not boot up. Gives me an error that it is not bootable media.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. Does it need an underlying O.S. like Linux to be installed first then Vcenter installed on top of it?

The last time we setup Vcenter, we were given an OVA, which is why i ask. This time, we need to install from scratch.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Because it's not bootable. The ISO is meant to be mounted to an existing OS and launching the installation wizard GUI which walks you through a guided process of deploying the OVF to a target ESXi host. So, yes, there is an OVF with vCenter already "installed" but you need to use the installer wizard to bootstrap it with a number of important inputs. There are a number of blogs out there which illustrate the deployment process you might get value out of.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The ISO isn't bootable, it contains various installers with the appropriate source files they need (including the OVA for the VCSA).

This is the most common method for deploying the VCSA: Deploy the vCenter Server Appliance by Using the GUI

The Windows/Linux/Mac installer will deploy the OVA for you.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine
.ISO is not bootable,
If you open it with windows and open setup.exe it will open a wizard that will guide you trough the steps

Here are some additional resources

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vsphere-vcenter-server-70-installation-guide.pdf

Installing VMware vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA) 7.0 - YouTube

Warm regards

0 Kudos