VMware Cloud Community
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

linode server .img to Vmware - conversion

hi guys

by any chance has someone converted / moved an Linode image .img server from Linode Cloud to Vmware?

I am having some issues customer gave me this .img file and there is not real steps in google from someone really accomplishing this

if anyone has any idea or has done it let me know thanks, it's CentOS 7 server from Linode

I tried with Stanwind V2V converter which supports .img files but server won't boot (operatying system not found) looks like linode servers does not have fstab neither grub at linux level

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Converter Standalone area - seems like the most appropriate place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
lgrizzle
Contributor
Contributor

Would you provide the link of the article to where it was moved to as it'd be very helpful for others researching the same request...

0 Kudos
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

If you can power on the VM, you can use VMware converter, because it can convert a powered-on linux VM (you need to open required ports for the converter).

Otherwise,you can give this one a try https://cloudbase.it/qemu-img-windows/ 

KUDO if you find my answer useful or mark as solution if it solves your issue.

0 Kudos