2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2020 12:43 PM by ysandfort

Hos do I turn on Reverse DNS recognition for Source IPs?

ysandfort Hot Shot
    vExpert

Setup:

Multiple WAN uplinks -> Velocloud Edge -> Next-Gen-FW -> Clients

WAN uplinks come with static IPs

Routing Connection VCE to NGF is done via BGP

DNS internal is ssetup in VCE

How do I get VCO/VCE to use the internal DNS for reverse lookup of Source IPs, so that we don't have to enter them all manual

Yves

• 1. Re: Hos do I turn on Reverse DNS recognition for Source IPs?
          lhoffer Expert
          VMware EmployeesvExpert

What specifically are you trying to accomplish with reverse DNS?  If you're looking at the source monitoring in the VCO, it doesn't use DNS to resolve hostnames for the LAN IPs you see as sources and instead is looking at the hostname presented in the client DHCP request.  As such the dependency there is that the VeloCloud edge has to see the DHCP request (either by acting as the DHCP server or at least having the DHCP traverse the edge) in order to populate that info.

If, on the other hand, your use case for reverse DNS is different, please clarify what the specific intent is.

• 2. Re: Hos do I turn on Reverse DNS recognition for Source IPs?
            ysandfort Hot Shot
            vExpert

Thanks for the confirmation. DHCP will not work as the clients are behind a router in these cases.

So I guess then we need to figure out if we want to populate the source IP to NAME matching with API calls by populating it from the DNS servers.

Is there a code exchange somewhere, as I think we are not the first partner seeing this issue?