VMware Cloud Community
Huolsam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with vMware HA Cluster resource reservation values

Hi,

I have a problem with vMware HA Cluster resource reservation. The cluster total capacity is 13.97 Ghz but only 7.82 Ghz is available.

I didn't understand why, if someone could explain it to me.

vm.png

Also "Total slots in cluster" calculation is based on the 7.82 Ghz ( 7.82 * 1000 / 32 = 244 )

vm2.png

im using vMware vCenter version 6.5.

thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You configured admission control it looks like. Considering you only have 2 hosts, and the default is to take 1 host failure in to account, it basically means you "lose 50%" capacity as that capacity is being reserved in case 1 of the hosts fails and the VMs on that host need to be restarted.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Huolsam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi nachogonzalez​,

The KB talk about "The Total Reservation Capacity value is larger than the Cluster Total Capacity", but in my case The Total Reservation Capacity is half of the Cluster Total Capacity.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You configured admission control it looks like. Considering you only have 2 hosts, and the default is to take 1 host failure in to account, it basically means you "lose 50%" capacity as that capacity is being reserved in case 1 of the hosts fails and the VMs on that host need to be restarted.

Huolsam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks depping​ for the answer.

0 Kudos
MVL_Lopez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, this is completely true, however, I have the same problem here, but I have not enable HA in the Cluster, so there is no Admission Control. And now? Why the Total Reservation Capacity is half the Cluster Capacity?

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If that is indeed the case, then most likely because the hosts are tiny and ESXi is reserving ~2 cores worth of CPU for vim (hostd, vpxa, etc.). Note that "reserved" doesn't mean used, just that ESXi "reserves the right" to use the CPU whenever it might need to.

To verify, run this on the hosts and post the output either on e.g. pastebin or in pre tags (like the command) back here.

sched-stats -t groups -z vmgid:name:pgid:pname:size:vsmps:amin:amax:units:resvMHz:availMHz | awk 'NR == 1 || $2 ~ /^(vm\.|pool)[0-9]+/ || /^[0-4] / {print $0}'
0 Kudos
MVL_Lopez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, this is the result of the command in one of the cluster hosts:

MVL_Lopez_0-1615472938816.png

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Jup, those host only have 4 cores so the overall reserveable capacity is low. The system group is reserving 10% of a core and the vim group 1461 MHz, that is normal.

0 Kudos
MVL_Lopez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you, do you have a similar command to analyze the memory?

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A similar command for memory would e.g. be:

memstats -r group-stats -g0 -l2 -s gid:name:parGid:nChild:min:max:conResv:availResv:memSize -u mb 2> /dev/null | sed -n '/^-\+/,/.*\n/p'

I attached an exploded pdf of a presentation that goes through some of this.

0 Kudos
MVL_Lopez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellet PDF. Thank you.

0 Kudos