Contributor
Contributor

Sysbench file I/O test on nvme crash

My environment is as follows:

- Supermicro H11SSL-NC with EPYC 7232P CPU

- ESXi-7.0b-16324942-standard

- Western Digital SN750 1T disk

- Debian 10 guest

I'm testing WD disk with this configuration but I experience crash every time when testing file I/O with sysbench. I'm using the following command:

sysbench fileio --file-test-mode=seqwr --file-total-size=10G --file-block-size=16K --threads=8 --time=60 run

Please take a look at the following kernel log:

2020-09-07T09:10:19.407Z cpu8:1049379)WARNING: NVMEIO:2223 Controller 256 receiv - Pastebin.com

You can see that there is a critical warning 0x2 in the beginning and after that everything goes down. APD starts and All Paths Down is finally reached. Disk never recovers and I have to power off the guest. It is in invalid state after that and I need to reboot the host to recover.

It appears that increasing --file-block-size will make the system crash earlier. With 4K block size it seems to work.

Any ideas what is the issue and/or how to workaround this? What is that critical warning 0x2?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What type of disk controller is the WD connected to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kartsan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. It is connected to the PCIe M.2 connector on the motherboard. According to the manual, that is directly connected to the CPU via G1 bus.

Ilkka

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And have you validated your System and IO Devices hardware against this?

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos