VMware Cloud Community
Cederberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mixing CPU and OSI licenses in one Log insight enviroment

Hi.

We have an log insight enviroment installed that has an vrealize suite (Full) licens, that displays OSI Unlimited and CPU Unlimited. The license came with our Enterprise plus vsphere license. This means that all our Virtual servers and ESXi servers ar licensed for log insight. But we still have a few non-esxi physical servers that also need to be licenced for Log insight.

Now to my questions.

Is it possible to mix CPU and OSI licenses in Log insight?

Is it even possible to have 2 licenses active at the same time regardless of Type?

Hope someone has an answere for me.

Thanks.

Best regards

/Mattias Cederberg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cederberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

That differs from my understanding of the CPU licensing. From my understanding you "apply" the licenses to for example a 2 CPU ESXi server (2 cpu licenses). You can then send logs for that ESXi server and all of it's virtual machines to your Log insight enviroment. This applies to any hardware. The OSI (Operating system image) license gives you the right to log everything from a singel Operatingsystem, for example Windows on a physical server or a networkswitch. Probably easiest defined as one Agent/syslogsender.

When i spoke to VMware sales person and our TAM about the OSI licenses and our enviroment they didn't mention your interpretation but adviced me to buy the OSI licenses for our physical servers.

I'm not saying your wrong but thats what we did anyway.

Regards
Mattias Cederberg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

My understanding is that when you license your complete cluster with the Loginsight CPU based licenses than youre allowed to forward as may external syslog sources as you want because of:

VMware vRealize Log Insight 8 per CPU  ||  VMware vRealize Log Insight 8 collects, analyzes and searches log data from virtual and physical end points, including physical servers, virtual machines, vSphere hosts, network devices, storage arrays, or any other system generating log data. It provides Cluster Scalability, Dashboard summary, Proactive analytics, Custom API ingestion, Windows agent monitoring and support for content packs. This SKU is licensed on a per CPU socket. SnS Required & Sold Separately.

I have some customers with such a setup and one of them have a huge number of phys. devices.

Regards,
Joerg

Cederberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

That differs from my understanding of the CPU licensing. From my understanding you "apply" the licenses to for example a 2 CPU ESXi server (2 cpu licenses). You can then send logs for that ESXi server and all of it's virtual machines to your Log insight enviroment. This applies to any hardware. The OSI (Operating system image) license gives you the right to log everything from a singel Operatingsystem, for example Windows on a physical server or a networkswitch. Probably easiest defined as one Agent/syslogsender.

When i spoke to VMware sales person and our TAM about the OSI licenses and our enviroment they didn't mention your interpretation but adviced me to buy the OSI licenses for our physical servers.

I'm not saying your wrong but thats what we did anyway.

Regards
Mattias Cederberg

0 Kudos