VMware Horizon Community
DSJordan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon View 8 (2006) - Snapshots

After I create an instant clone pool, I am no longer able to create snapshots on the parent virtual machine.  I receive the error in VCenter: "

An error occurred while taking a snapshot: A digest operation has failed.".  If I copy the parent VM (while Horizon is still using it as a parent), I get the same error when I create a snapshot on the copy.

The only thing I have found that I can do is kick everyone out of the pool, delete the pool, then create the snapshot, then recreate the pool.  Kinda rough on high availability.

I thought it might be related to replication as the parent VM is replicated, so I ended replication on it the last time I had deleted the pool and deleted all snapshots.  Still had the problem after creating the instant clone pool.

I don't have this problem with any other VM when taking snapshots.  I was running Horizon 7.12 on ESXi 6.7 until about a month ago and never experienced this issue.

VCenter is 7, build 16749670

ESXi hosts are version 7 with no updates available

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSJordan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This may have been a VCenter issue.  I deleted the pool that was using the parent VM.  I started replication, then ended replication.  Then I removed the VM from inventory, then I created a directory under the VM on the datastore, them moved *digest* and *.hlog files to the folder I just created.  Then I re-added the VM to VCenter.  Took a snapshot, created the pool.  Same problem.  I still could not take a snapshot, same error.

Recalling that I had troubles in the past with VCenter not releasing the locks on the parent VM as fast  as I would like, I did the same procedure (above) again, with a little more waiting between steps and this time it worked!  The VM is the parent VM for the pool, and I can take snapshots!

Hope it helps someone!

Scott

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mffischer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi DSJorden,

I have updated the environment from Horizon 7.12 to Horizon 2006 and do noch have this Issue. I can modify our golden Images, create a new snapshot and roll it out.

But our vSphere environment ist still on 6.7 latest.

We will soon upgrade to vSphere 7.0. I will double check and answer here, but it could take some weeks Smiley Happy

Best Regards

Marc

0 Kudos
DSJordan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for letting me know.  I think I may build a host running 6.7 to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Scott

0 Kudos
DSJordan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This may have been a VCenter issue.  I deleted the pool that was using the parent VM.  I started replication, then ended replication.  Then I removed the VM from inventory, then I created a directory under the VM on the datastore, them moved *digest* and *.hlog files to the folder I just created.  Then I re-added the VM to VCenter.  Took a snapshot, created the pool.  Same problem.  I still could not take a snapshot, same error.

Recalling that I had troubles in the past with VCenter not releasing the locks on the parent VM as fast  as I would like, I did the same procedure (above) again, with a little more waiting between steps and this time it worked!  The VM is the parent VM for the pool, and I can take snapshots!

Hope it helps someone!

Scott

0 Kudos