VMware Horizon Community
Tiger666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon client - Install Failed

Trying to install horizon client on my personal Win 10 PC. I've had it installed before but this time I just get Install Failed. I've attached the logs. I'm on Win 10 64bit 19041.450.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
domdsouza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is what's causing the issue.

vdmInstUtil: 09/02/20 08:43:33 ERROR: Failed writing to file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts".

For some silly reason, it wants to add an entry to the hosts file as shown below.

127.0.0.1 view-localhost # view localhost server

A lot of AntiVirus applications will prevent this, and hence the failed install. The workaround is to stop the AV temporarily until the install is complete, or add those entries manually. If that entry exists, it will skip that part.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello Tiger666​,

I can see these extracts inside the vminst log:

inst-build-16490312| E2: VNLDeleteSystemFile: failed to delete 0x00000002 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vmusb.sys'

2020-09-02T08:43:27.782+01:00| inst-build-16490312| E2: VNLDeleteSystemFile: failed #3 to delete 0x00000002 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\drivers\vmusb.sys'

Could you go on that path and try to remove those two files manually if they are there? It could be that they keep orphaned from your last installation.

0 Kudos
Tiger666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Those two files are not there.

0 Kudos
domdsouza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is what's causing the issue.

vdmInstUtil: 09/02/20 08:43:33 ERROR: Failed writing to file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts".

For some silly reason, it wants to add an entry to the hosts file as shown below.

127.0.0.1 view-localhost # view localhost server

A lot of AntiVirus applications will prevent this, and hence the failed install. The workaround is to stop the AV temporarily until the install is complete, or add those entries manually. If that entry exists, it will skip that part.

Tiger666
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You've got it. Added the line and it skipped and installed. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
grimb1e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This trick really works. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
bobkingpdx1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm attempting to install the VMware Horizon 7 Client to a Windows 10 (22h2) machine (physical Dell laptop) and getting "Install Failed." When I look in the logs I find any number of lines marked error but the line I believe is relevant is:
"Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package."
After reviewing the associated posts here, I tried:

- rebooting
- adding the line "127.0.0.1 view-localhost # view localhost server" to the Hosts file

- turning off all Sophos A/V services

- uninstalling Sophos A/V then rebooting

Same result each time. I've attached the most recent log files. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JGO_at_Dell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great post Dom, this was exactly my issue, first time I've encountered this.  Trying to install the 2306 Horizon client, build 21964678, on Windows 11. I also tried the 2303 and it failed as well.

My hosts file was Read-only so I made it Read-Write.  Re-running the client and the install was successful and yes, that new VMware entry was at the bottom of the file.  

0 Kudos