VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

shared folder slow

When AV scannng in Windows a shared external drive, the scanning is slow,, much slower i would say han if it was directly attached. however i can't directly attach in VM, because the drive in question is Mac formatted (Mac OS Extended Journaled) HFS+. So i usually mount on Mac desktop, then add a share folder in VMWare Fusion

The alternatives i reckon would be no better SMB/AFP, simply because a locally attached drive is always gotta be better performance than a network share (even over a VMWare shared folders) as long as its still on the device, not remote

Although very slow, is this my only option from a performance perspective? The USB drive is 4TB. I believe if the drive was exFAT or NTFS and directly attached to Windows VM,, it would be faster.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yeah, VMware shared folders are slow.. that's been true for like forever.

Sharing via the network is your best bet in my opinion.

There are ways to access HFS+ formatted disks directly from within Windows.

Here's some links (note, I have no recent experience with either product myself)

Catacombae - HFSExplorer

https://digirati82.com/2014/12/15/adding-hfs-read-support-to-windows/

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yeah, VMware shared folders are slow.. that's been true for like forever.

Sharing via the network is your best bet in my opinion.

There are ways to access HFS+ formatted disks directly from within Windows.

Here's some links (note, I have no recent experience with either product myself)

Catacombae - HFSExplorer

https://digirati82.com/2014/12/15/adding-hfs-read-support-to-windows/

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

MacDrive also looks good, as HFSExploer requires Java Run-Time installed as well.

This is a one time only thing..

0 Kudos