VMware Cloud Community
Ajaxio13
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Remediation hosting Vcenter appliance (6.7 or 7.0)

Hello,

Is it possible to remediate (apply fixes and patch with VUM or lifecylce manager) if the ESX we want to remediate is the one hosting vcenter ?

We have 2 esx hosting each one their own datastore, one is active, one is passive, I would like to know which is the best practice to update esx hosting vcenter appliance, thanks

3 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

For almost every update, you need to reboot the host. So if that host is hosting your vCenter appliance you should move that appliance to the other host. If that is not possible you could update the host as if it was a stand-alone host.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
Ajaxio13
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, how do you update the host as if it was a stand-alone host ?

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

You could use the esxcli command line tool: VMware Knowledge Base Or you could use PowerCLI. I wrote a script (Upgrade-Hosts-6.5 - Pastebin.com) that upgrades 6.5 hosts in a cluster when vCenter is already on 6.7 (then you cannot perform a host upgrade to 6.7 using VUM). Anyway, the script copies the zip file with the upgrade to a datastore, puts the host in maintenance mode, and performs the upgrade. You can use the same method using a zip file with the patches.

Remember that the script is made for my environment so needs adjusting for yours... But the goal is to give you an idea of how to do this with PowerCLI. Search for "patch standalone esxi host" and you will get several useful hits...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos