VMware Cloud Community
tweety2007
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Delete Datastore

Hello Together,

i would like to delete one datastore from my vCenter 7.0.,

but the option is not available.

The datastore (external NAS via iSCSI) was crashed and the stoorage is not available any more.

When i changed the status to maintenance mode, there is a error message.

(1% --> SDRS).

Do you have any idea, how can i delete the datastore?

Thanks

Jochen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Jochen,

Welcome to Communities.

Is/was anything still referencing the datastore?

This can prevent removing the reference to it, examples:

- VMs registered in inventory with anything referencing this? (e.g. not just vmdks or VM folders but also for instance ISOs mounted in CD/DVD devices)

- Was this datastore set as a logging or syslog location for ESXi hosts?

- Was this datastore used for any other configurable purpose such as coredump locations or ESXi boot?

- Was/is it configured for Storage DRS? The message you referenced implies that it is/was, consider disabling it for this datastore as it won't be able to do anything with it if it is not accessible:

Enable and Disable Storage DRS

Bob

0 Kudos
tweety2007
Contributor
Contributor

hey bob,

thanks for your answer and your greetings Smiley Happy

- VMs registered in inventory with anything referencing this? (e.g. not just vmdks or VM folders but also for instance ISOs mounted in CD/DVD devices)
The datastore is absoluty empty Smiley Happy So on the vCenter is shown with 0B.

- Was this datastore set as a logging or syslog location for ESXi hosts?

I searched in the advanced settings to the storage name - nothing Smiley Sad logging is on the first datastore.

- Was this datastore used for any other configurable purpose such as coredump locations or ESXi boot?

No Smiley Sad

- Was/is it configured for Storage DRS? The message you referenced implies that it is/was, consider disabling it for this datastore as it won't be able to do anything with it if it is not accessible:

DRS is disbaled. I activated DRS, with the same error...

Enable and Disable Storage DRS

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Jochen,

"The datastore is absoluty empty  So on the vCenter is shown with 0B."

Do you mean to say it never had anything stored on it?

It is likely just showing in vCenter as 0B as that is what the current usable capacity of it is from vCenter (as it is non-functional/not accessible) - this doesn't mean nothing in inventory is referencing it.

Is it attached to multiple ESXi hosts or just one?

Do you get errors or success when you try to remove it from individual hosts? (e.g. via the Host Client or CLI)

If it is no longer accessible and you are trying to delete it, why are you trying to put it in datastore Maintenance Mode?

This action has prerequisites (and also likely won't work at all if the datastore is not accessible):

Place a Datastore in Maintenance Mode

You should be able to just remove it from the datastore cluster and then delete it:

Remove datastore from datastore cluster

Bob

0 Kudos