VMware Horizon Community
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Post-Sync scripts stopped working after upgrading to Horizon 7.12

Post-Sync scripts stopped working after upgrading to Horizon 7.12

After upgrading to Horizon 7.12, our Post-synchronization scripts stopped working, and pools would ERROR out when provisioning instant clones.

Turns out, its a bug in Horizon 7.12.  I saw a few of you with the same issue in the following thread, but I'm starting a new post for better visibility since it was off-topic.

Ref: C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log ... |VMware Communities

The bug is that the Horizon agent copies the script to c:\windows\temp\vmware\ folder...but fails to copy it successfully.

Post-Sync.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DEBUG log shows the FAILED Creating Post-Customization, Hash File: 0x80070003  error.

Post-Sync-copy-error.jpg

If you manually pre-copy the actual script file into the c:\windows\temp\vmware\ folder before creating your snapshot, it will work as intended.

I've opened a Support Case with VMware and will post the solution once I get it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK.  I'll answer my own question...

After working with VMware Support and the VMware Dev Team, they have concluded that the 7.11 & 7.12 agents do not like having the C:\windows\Temp\ folder purged/cleaned up prior to taking a snapshot.  More specifically, the c:\windows\temp\vmware\ folder needs to be there, as the Agent will not recreate it if deleted.  This has been resolved in the Horizon 8 agent, when the VMware subfolder will be recreated if missing.

Our issue was that we ran a few cleanup scripts as part of prepping a Master Image, prior to shutting it down and creating a snapshot.

Who would have known that we would break things by purging C:\windows\temp\ !! 

John in Tampa

0 Kudos
RyanChristopher
Contributor
Contributor

Will also add in addition to creating the C:\Windows\Temp\VMware folder that we had to extend the timeout as well on 7.13 from the default 20 seconds. For some reason the new post sync process takes longer on 7.13 (might also apply to 7.11/7.12) with the exact same script.

Increase the Timeout Limit for ClonePrep Customization Scripts (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
GTO455
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this same issue after upgrading from 7.10 to 7.13, however the fix posted here didn't work for me. Putting the files in C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Windows\Temp\Vmware still failed when trying to publish the pool. Extending the clone-prep timeout value did not work either.

After engaging VMware support, it was discovered that placing the postsync files in a directory off of the root (for example C:\Scripts) fixed the issue for me.

Just an FYI for everyone.