VMware Communities
oscaac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Physical Drive Missing after CPU replacement and restart from VM

Hi All,

I have a few VMs that were created on C: (Win10) but use a physical drive as the HD. After replacing my CPU on my machine and restarting, I have 1 VM that is no longer booting up. When I look at the HD setting, it says 'Using Device' but does not continue with '\\.\PhysicalDriveX' like the others do. This VM using PhysicalDrive06 and I see it under Disk Management as online (not assigned a Drive Letter in Windows). When I go to the HD settings of the VM, it gives me a generic 'The system cannot find the file specified'. If I try to create a new VM, I do see PhysicalDrive06 as an option to pick. Any ideas on how I can fix this VM? Attaching VM files and logs. Thanks in advance.

Workstation 15.5.6 Pro

Oscar

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not using physical drives myself, so this is more of a guess.

Did you already try to remove the virtual disk from the VM's configuration, and - after closing and opening the VM's settings - add it again, and/or is the "Extent description" the exact same for a temp/dummy VM?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not using physical drives myself, so this is more of a guess.

Did you already try to remove the virtual disk from the VM's configuration, and - after closing and opening the VM's settings - add it again, and/or is the "Extent description" the exact same for a temp/dummy VM?

André

0 Kudos
oscaac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks André. I was not seeing a way to remove the drive due to the error. But after adding the drive as a new drive, the remove button worked and I was able to boot up. Thanks again.

-Oscar

0 Kudos