VMware Cloud Community
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vdcadmintool.exe

Hi gurus

I have this legacy vcenter that is facing vpxd cert expiration is a windows 2012 r2 and no one knows the @vsphere.local pw, I was trying to use vdcadmintool.exe, in order to temp get access and deal with my issue but vdcadmintool.exe wont run, it shows 0kb, is my take is corrupted or something, I would like to replace this tool to be able to perform , where do I download this tool. ?

Thanks a bunch for any help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello fborges555

I can't find anywhere that that individual tool can be downloaded from.

Do you perchance have another Windows vCenter of a similar version that you could copy the tool from?

If you don't then you could deploy a vCenter of the same version to copy it from, potentially someone else on here has a similar vCenter (please list the build version etc.) that they could copy the tool from but of course be extremely careful if accepting .exe files from strangers on the internet.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello fborges555

I can't find anywhere that that individual tool can be downloaded from.

Do you perchance have another Windows vCenter of a similar version that you could copy the tool from?

If you don't then you could deploy a vCenter of the same version to copy it from, potentially someone else on here has a similar vCenter (please list the build version etc.) that they could copy the tool from but of course be extremely careful if accepting .exe files from strangers on the internet.

Bob

0 Kudos
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To save you the hassle of installing a temporary vCenter Server, you can just grab the vdcadmintool.exe file from the vCenter Server for Windows install .iso file.

I have assumed vCenter Server for Windows version 6.5 (as you haven't confirmed your specific version/build).

1) Download the identical version/build of vCenter Server for Windows .iso from the My VMware site, as you are currently running.

2) Extract the contents of the .iso (I used 7-zip to do this) into a temp location.

3) Navigate to the .iso extract location and then into \vCenter-Server\Packages\ directory.

pastedImage_0.png

4) The vdcadmintool.exe file is included in the vmware-directory.msi file.

5) Use an .msi unpacker (I use Less MSIerables from http://lessmsi.activescott.com/ ) to unpack the .msi file contents into another temp location.

pastedImage_5.png

6) Navigate to the .msi extract location and then into \SourceDir\VMware\VMware Directory Services\vmdird\ you will find the vdcadmintool.exe file here.

Hope this helps.

M