VMware Communities
alexgarciab
Contributor
Contributor

Can't copy & paste from Mac to VM (Windows 10 - additional user)

Hi there,

I am having an issue with VMWare Fusion. I have set up a virtual machine with Windows 10.

I really need the copy & paste function between my Mac (local) and my Windows (virtual). I need them to share the same clipboard.

This works when the Windows installation is a unique user installation. However, when I try to add more users to Windows, it is not working, on these extra users.

Is there something that I need to activate in order for the mutual clipboard to work with all the users?

P.S. what I have noticed is that the first user that logs in, after the virtual machine is started is the one that takes control over the mutual clipboard, and exclude the others.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Create a little batch file and put this in it, then run it on login (the taskkill is probably not needed)

taskkill /F /IM vmtoolsd.exe

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe" -n vmusr

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
alexgarciab
Contributor
Contributor

Should I run this batch file after I log in, in every single user on Windows or just on the first user I log in?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

The vmtoolsd process needs to be run as the user you want to use the shared clipboard for, so it needs to run as the user for which you want to use this.

So at the login of each user.

It already runs for the first user.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos