VMware Horizon Community
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM not picking up client printer

Hello Team,

for some reason, I have a VM that is not picking up client printer, and I have run test on other VM's and they do pick up printers. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

I'm new to VSphere and Horizon client.. here is what I did already.

1: Try login into VM from multiple computers just to make sure it was not the client computer

2: Made sure that the printer drivers are installed correctly on the client computer

3: Made sure that the printer is also shared on the network on the client computer

Any help is appreciated thank you, team!

20 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey BiosMaster0x000​,

I guess you posted in the wrong section.

However give us more details about the printers:

• How is this printer presented to the VMs?
  • What is the difference between the ones that are working and this one?
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine

Are VMware tools and horizon agent up to date?
Which version of horizon view are you using?

If you use the printer shared by network, are you able to use it?

Have you checked this document?Configuring VMware Virtual Print Redirection

scott28tt​  Moderator: can you please move this thread into Horizon space?

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good day,

sorry not sure where I should have posted at.

However, usually, when a VM is connected to a work station it automatically connects clients' printer on the fly. however, I notice with this particular VM it doesn't

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could you please give us more insight about the configuration that you are applying? Are you configuring the printer as a Logon Task?

Are you using DEM for configuring this?

Are you applying GPOs?

Are the VMs all in the same network?

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Nacho,

TO answer your questions.

Are VMware tools and horizon agent up to date?  ----> Not sure how to check this ***New to VMware****
Which version of horizon view are you using? --->  5.4.3 build - 16346110

If you use the printer shared by network, are you able to use it? ----> on the client-side yes

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using DEM for configuring this? ---> I was not part of when this was rolled out, however, I know that DEM was configured

Are you applying GPOs? ----> No GPO are setup

Are the VMs all in the same network? ---> yes all VM's are in the same network but not client computer

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine:

Are VMware tools and horizon agent up to date?  ----> Not sure how to check this ***New to VMware****
check on programs and features, you should see horizon agend and vmware tools.
Which version of horizon view are you using? --->  5.4.3 build - 16346110
Just an FYI: this version is out of support.

If you use the printer shared by network, are you able to use it? ----> on the client-side yes

you mean on a horizon client?

Have you enabled virtual printing?

Enabling Virtual Printing in Horizon Client

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

DEM has the ability to run certain configurations based on conditions for example from the network the clients are connecting, the AD Group is connecting etc. If conditions are not satisfied then no action is run. It could be that they are applying conditions for the configuration of the printer.

Take a look at this blog post: Choosing Printing Options for VMware Horizon 7

This could be the issue that you are facing.

BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. will check on the virtual desktop to make sure that vm tools are installed and up to date
  2. To update horizon client try to manually run it but it states that I'm running the latest version.
  3. so the client works from home that client computer is not connected to HQ infra, however, when they connect to HZ client the VM's are so the printer is downloaded on client-side, not on the infra side. usually, when an employee signs into their virtual desktop it picks up clients' computer printer.

this vm's is not picking up a client printer.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Horizon area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's pretty weird that one particular remote VM has the issue while other VMs don't. A couple of questions: are you using network printer or USB printer attached to local client machine? What Horizon agent version/build are you using? What printing solution are you using(ThinPrint or VMware Integrated Printing)? We might need client print logs to diagnos further.

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

The client's computer printer is installed with up to date drivers over wifi (network) -NO USB usualy the printer is redirected to vm but in this case, is not picking up the printer.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Wait, just to be clear
the customer has a printer shared over wifi on his local home network?
Has the customer tried to connect the printer directly over wifi?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Over USB sorry*

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I install client printer on her computer, she does not have USB or ethernet cord, so I install her printer using wifi config.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

I was unable to find any information on wi-fi local printers.
I'm really interested now

In the meanwhile, though very impractical, what you can do is enable a share between VDI and client pc so customer can share printing files to local printer.

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice! but will this solve the printer issue?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

No, but that's a way of printing.
I'm not currently sure if printing with a wifi printer is supported or going to work.
I'm doing some research on that.

0 Kudos
BiosMaster0x000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will test on my side for wifi printer on another test user

0 Kudos