VMware Communities
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware sizes is 96 gig but my directory under Mojave is 208 Gig? why

Why is my directory under Mojave more than the double sizes of VMware sizes?

VMWare is 96 Gig in the subdirectory and if I looked at the main directory I see 208 Gig?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The last file from that (VMfoldersize versus the size of the VM) confirm that you are seeing a Finder bug here.

The VM really only uses 97GB and the parent folder is not using anything more.

Here's a discussion about a similar report:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/02/22/finder-shows-incorrect-folder-sizes/

Michael talks about deleting files not updating the parent folder size in macOS Mojave and it seems that you are seeing the same.

It might update the actual size if you create a few files at the "Virtual Machine" folder and delete them.

This is not a first time Finder couldn't count. If you google a bit, then you'll see similar reports from 2009 as well.

PS: No orphan snapshots either, so it looks like you're all good, apart from the Finder bug.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM most likely has active snapshots, where each single snapshot can grow up to the VM's provisioned size.

Check whether you need the snapshot(s), and consider to delete them from the Snapshot Manager.

André

0 Kudos
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André

The problem is that I don't have any snapshot it is at 0

Merci/Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please CTRL-Click the VM's .vmwarevm package in the Finder to view the files in it.

If there are <vmname>-00000x.vmdk files, then the VM has active snapshots. In this case DO NOT try to delete them from the Finder (this would destroy the VM), but attach the VM's .vmx file as well as its .vmsd file to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here are the files

Thank you and let me know what you are doing to it

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Interesting. There's indeed no snapshot, so there must be other files/folders which consume the disk space.

To ensure I understand "VMWare is 96 Gig in the subdirectory and if I looked at the main directory I see 208 Gig?" correctly, please explain what you consider the main and the sub directory (maybe some screenshots will help).

André

0 Kudos
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the screenshot weird

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry, but checking for additional files is all that I can currently think of.

Maybe wila​ can explain this, or has another idea!?

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

That is indeed weird.

Finder doesn't always show correct data, but I have not seen it have show such a large difference.

Is there perhaps a large hidden file (or bundle) in that folder?

You can toggle Finder to show/hide hidden files via the keyboard shortcut "Command"+"Shift"+"."

Can you attach a vmware.log file as well?

If you are comfortable on the command line you can also verify using the du command.

eg.

du -hs "/whereverYourVMslive/Virtual Machine/*"

and

du -hs "/whereverYourVMslive/Virtual Machine/Windows 10 x64.vmwarevm/*"

Are they showing the same output as Finder?

edit: Also please attach a full file listing of your vm.

ls -alh "/whereverYourVMslive/Virtual Machine/Windows 10 x64.vmwarevm/" > ~/Desktop/vmFilelist.txt

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila

There is no hidden files

Here is the .log files

Thank you very much for your help

Rob

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The VM has no snapshot as André already determined.

Can you please put the following commands in a terminal:

du -hs /Users/rora/Documents/Virtual\ Machine/Windows\ 10\ x64.vmwarevm > ~/Desktop/VMSize.txt

This should show the total of what you see in Finder for the VM and puts the output in a file called VMSize.txt on your desktop.

du -hs /Users/rora/Documents/Virtual\ Machine/Windows\ 10\ x64.vmwarevm/* > ~/Desktop/VMSizeDetails.txt

This gives the size per file and the sub folders and puts it in the file VMSizeDetails.txt on your desktop

du -hs /Users/rora/Documents/Virtual\ Machine/* > ~/Desktop/VMFolderSize.txt

This should help to see why Finder shows the discrepancy.

Make sure that in "-hs" the symbol before the h is actually a min sign and not some fancy character that a copy & paste might change it into (the files on your desktop should not show errors)

Please attach the 3 files to a reply here.

thanks

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila

Here are the file

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The last file from that (VMfoldersize versus the size of the VM) confirm that you are seeing a Finder bug here.

The VM really only uses 97GB and the parent folder is not using anything more.

Here's a discussion about a similar report:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/02/22/finder-shows-incorrect-folder-sizes/

Michael talks about deleting files not updating the parent folder size in macOS Mojave and it seems that you are seeing the same.

It might update the actual size if you create a few files at the "Virtual Machine" folder and delete them.

This is not a first time Finder couldn't count. If you google a bit, then you'll see similar reports from 2009 as well.

PS: No orphan snapshots either, so it looks like you're all good, apart from the Finder bug.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Roraesko01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil

Thank you very much for your help an guidance

FYI just checking on another laptop with Catalina and no problem with the same VM copied so it has to do with the OS finder

Again a big thank you

Rob

0 Kudos