VMware Communities
pcx2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 12 Pro vs. Standard differentiation?

Since the new licenses will be interchangeable between Fusion and Workstation, does that mean previously standard Fusion features like snapshots and multiple simultaneous VMs will become Pro-only features, to align with Workstation's differentiation?

What will the functional difference between Fusion Standard vs. Pro be when version 12 arrives?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Regarding feature comparisons for the Fusion products, it's going to be the same split that exists between Fusion and Fusion Pro today. We decided not to 'take anything away' from the existing product split. We're still deciding how to address that on Workstation (personally I'd like to add them) but for now the Windows and Linux Players remain the same as they are today in that respect.

We're updating ALL of the collateral (there's a TON of stuff built up over the years that needs a cleanup), so we'll have a real nice comparison table at launch (which is in weeks, not months).

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Regarding feature comparisons for the Fusion products, it's going to be the same split that exists between Fusion and Fusion Pro today. We decided not to 'take anything away' from the existing product split. We're still deciding how to address that on Workstation (personally I'd like to add them) but for now the Windows and Linux Players remain the same as they are today in that respect.

We're updating ALL of the collateral (there's a TON of stuff built up over the years that needs a cleanup), so we'll have a real nice comparison table at launch (which is in weeks, not months).

-
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

from  Announcing: VMware Fusion 12 and Workstation 16 - VMware Fusion Blog - VMware Blogs

~snip~

Fusion Player has the same features as Fusion 11.5.x ‘standard’ and more.

~snip~

André

pcx2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Mike, that was exactly what I wanted to know.

I hope you prevail in making snapshots and multiple VMs part of the standard tier across the board (like they were when I used Workstation Player on Linux years ago) -- they're such essential features of virtualization!

bstrobl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will there be an upgrade price for fusion non-pro users who bought the software before the 15th of June but need the commercial player version? If i am reading this correctly the upgrade price would otherwise be 79$. Not sure there would be much of an incentive to upgrade then.

edit: also noticed that any new user who needs it should buy a pro license now at 159$, as the price basically increases to 199$ once the actual release takes place.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Quite likely we'll do a campaign with a nice discount for existing users who need to upgrade to commercial use licenses.

-
0 Kudos
bstrobl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds good Smiley Happy, thanks!

jcnika
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding feature comparisons for the Fusion products, it's going to be the same split that exists between Fusion and Fusion Pro today. We decided not to 'take anything away' from the existing product split.

Is this strictly true?

The standard version of Fusion 11 allows me to create and manage encrypted VMs and retroactively encrypt existing VMs. However, the feature comparison for Fusion 12 (click on "Compare Kits" and look under the "Security Features" and "Advanced Features" categories) indicates that Fusion Player 12 -- the replacement for Fusion 11 standard -- doesn't support the creation or management of encrypted VMs, nor retroactive encryption.

I'm hesitant of "upgrading" to Fusion Player 12 because I use and create encrypted VMs.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That was my bad actually... Encrypting VMs is supported with Fusion 12 Player as well as Fusion 12 Pro. We'll be updating the comparison chart.

You can verify with a free Personal Use license to make sure. (redirects to https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal​ in case that doesn't redirect properly)

-
priesemut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Regarding feature comparisons for the Fusion products, it's going to be the same split that exists between Fusion and Fusion Pro today. We decided not to 'take anything away' from the existing product split.

Just one more question about taking snapshots and running more than one VM at the same time which is possible in Fusion 11.5 standard edition.

Besides encrypting VMs, are these two features really farther included in Fusion Player 12 or do I've to upgrade to Player 12 Pro?

0 Kudos
pcx2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

These appear to remain available in Fusion Player (non-Pro):  Fusion - Run Windows on Mac | Virtual Machines for Mac | VMware

See the comparison chart for snapshots and the FAQ lower down for simultaneous VMs:

"Can I Run Multiple Virtual Machines On A Mac At The Same Time?

Yes, you can run as many virtual machines concurrently with VMware Fusion 12 Pro and Player as your system’s CPU, RAM and disk storage will support. In fact, VMware Fusion leverages patented memory-sharing techniques to drastically reduce the memory required to run multiple virtual machines at the same time."

Mike, does Workstation Player now allow multiple simultaneous VMs?  That's no longer listed as a difference in the comparison charts (see VMware Workstation Player | VMware).  Snapshots on Workstation do seem to be still restricted to Pro?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Mike, does Workstation Player now allow multiple simultaneous VMs?

Yes, but not from the same UI. You just launch more Players.

Snapshots on Workstation do seem to be still restricted to Pro?

That's correct.

-
0 Kudos
priesemut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just gave it a try and installed Player-Version 12.0.0 (16880131) standard edition on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6.

• taking snapshots - o.k.
  • running several VMs at the same time - o.k.
  • running enctrypted VMs and en-/decrypting VMs - o.k.

Don't forget to renew VMware tools if you're running Win10. Didn't test with open-vm-tools* on Linux so far.

jcnika
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the upgrade procedure for Fusion 11 standard users who don't need a commercial license when moving to Fusion 12 Player? I get a "new version" notification dialog when I launch Fusion 11 but it doesn't have a button for automated upgrade as it usually has for minor version releases, so I assume I must download and install 12 Player manually. Can I use my existing license for 12 Player or do I need to request a new personal use license?

Encrypting VMs is supported with Fusion 12 Player as well as Fusion 12 Pro. We'll be updating the comparison chart.

FYI, that page still shows red X's by the aforementioned encryption features for Fusion 12 Player.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I assume I must download and install 12 Player manually.

Correct. The 'install now' option only occurs with Minor releases.

Can I use my existing license for 12 Player or do I need to request a new personal use license?

You can use the same license.

FYI, that page still shows red X's by the aforementioned encryption features for Fusion 12 Player.

Tickets are filed... We're in a blackout period because of VMworld right now tho.

-
smayer97
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see that the comparison chart has not been updated. Does this still hold true that encryption is supported in v12 player?

0 Kudos
uurazzle1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Mikero Any status on the comparison charts for VMware Fusion 12 Pro vs Player? Would be nice to have it as a reference.

Previously it was stated it would be weeks when it was released. Has it? If so, can someone post a link?

0 Kudos
uurazzle1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nevermind, it has been posted...

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html#compare. Thx

0 Kudos
BlueCreeper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I can't seem to find the "encrypt/decrypt VMs" option in Fusion 12 Player.

0 Kudos
uurazzle1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @BlueCreeper :
No worries. According to the comparison, it's only available in VMware Fusion 12 Pro, not Player.

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html#compare.

uurazzle1_0-1607043012952.png

0 Kudos