VMware Horizon Community
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

App Volumes Agent 2.18.2 or 2.18.4 Memory Leak

I'm not 100% certain yet, but I'm like 90% positive from our testing that the app volumes agents 2.18.2 and 2.18.4 have a memory leak.  2.18.0 does not seem to have the issue.  In desktop pools that have that >2.18.0 if you log into a VM and then just let it sit for a few days you will see the memory slowly creep up.  We let our desktops go for 2 weeks before a force logout so we have seen many desktops after about 10 days have their memory (8GB) exhausted. To the point that the horizon view agent becomes unreachable. Has anyone else seen this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyway, VMware support has confirmed that there are others that have this issue as well and that 2.18.6 is supposed to fix the issue.

My suggestion to everyone is to not use 2.18.2 or 2.18.4...possibly 2.18.1.  2.18.0 I can confirm works properly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Graph of the memory usage of an example VM that is logged into but not used when app volumes 2.18.4 is on the VM.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

appvols_memory.png

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'd suggest raising a ticket with VMware, if this is indeed the case you cannot be the only one having this issue.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I will, but sadly I actually get better responsiveness and more help from these forums than from vmware support as far as app volumes go, which is why I posted here.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyway, VMware support has confirmed that there are others that have this issue as well and that 2.18.6 is supposed to fix the issue.

My suggestion to everyone is to not use 2.18.2 or 2.18.4...possibly 2.18.1.  2.18.0 I can confirm works properly.

0 Kudos
Alberte1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sadly we just updated to 2.18.4 at the direction of Vmware support to address a writable volume disconnect issue just last month.  Now we are dealing with a serious memory leak which is leaving dozens of users unable to access their desktops.  Our confidence in the App Volumes product is in question.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have had never ending problems with getting app volumes stable, but for your actual problem 2.18.6 has been released and I have been testing and the memory leak seems to have been fixed so that is a possibility for you.

0 Kudos
Alberte1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If anyone from VMware is reading these forums, how about pulling the 2.18.2 and 2.18.4 downloads from your support site?  Other customers shouldn't be subjected this serious issue.

It would help to start providing some ratings on these patches like Recommended or Critical.  A memory leak that leaves desktops in a hung state after a few days is critical IMHO.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

They try, but alot of people here aren't vmware employees(me included), just people trying to help. If its an issue for you, you *****NEED*****!!!!!!! to open a ticket with GSS. I want to put emphasis on that as much as possible, its the only way for it to get to engineering for a fix and more tickets they can assoication with the engineering fix the higher priority it can be. I had a bug I worked through for at least a year once and by time I actually opened a ticket they've never seen it. These forums should be secondary resource to GSS in my option.

jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I DID have a ticket with GSS.  They knew of the issue and told me that 2.18.6 was coming soon and would supposedly fix it. The issue is they never alerted anyone that there was an issue.  The only note of it every being there is a small note in the 2.18.6 release notes

Applications can stop working due to memory leaks in svdriver. [2575927]

This was clearly a major issue. It made desktops completely unusable after 4-7 days of use.  And I mean completely. They would literally exhaust all memory killing the horizon view agent making them go unreachable.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I was replying to the other comment, and trying to underline that, just to help others that come looking for the issue here too.

0 Kudos
Alberte1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We also open support cases, two in fact.  But how would anyone in these forums know unless someone mentions it?  The release notes are vague and there's no proactive communication coming out of Vmware.

0 Kudos