VMware Cloud Community
jlombardo529
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK corruption. Lock files preventing consolidation and mangled CID in the child.

I have a couple of hosts that I am unable to remediate.  

A few I cannot consolidate due to lock files.  When I go to find the owner of the lock I get ioctl errors.

Secondly, the other VM shoots me this error "An error occurred while consolidating disks: The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child." 

I've run through KBs and gotten nowhere.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Hi,

To find which ESXi host locked the VM with following commands

vmfsfilelockinfo -p /path of the VM/ as mentioned this procedure in this VMware KB VMware Knowledge Base

About other VMs having snapshot consolidation issue following this VMware KB VMware Knowledge Base  VMware Knowledge Base

Caution: If you don't know how to fix Please do not try as will loose the VM data and functionally

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
jlombardo529
Contributor
Contributor

This does not work.   I get Could not dump metadata for '/vmfs/volumes/VMNAME.vmx.lck': Inappropriate ioctl for device

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>Secondly, the other VM shoots me this error "An error occurred while consolidating disks: The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created.

> The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child."

That typically happens when a users manually edits the vmx-file and assigns an incorrect vmdk.

The other problem can sometimes be worked around with Linux - using ddrescue.

0 Kudos