VMware Cloud Community
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I upgrade a Windows server with vCenter installed?

Hi, all.

I'm using vCenter 5.5 U2 on Windows server 2008 R2.

I want to upgrade the OS of vCenter from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2.

In this situation, which one is the best way ?

1. Creating a new Win 2012 R2 VM, vCenter re-installation, and reconnecting SSO and external databases

2. Upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 (vCenter installed) to Windows 2012 R2 (Is it possible?)

Thank you very much.

Regards.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Both options can be done. For the 1st option check the below link which is related to Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine. About the 2nd one, you can mount Windows 2012R2 ISO file and perform the upgrade.

VMware Knowledge Base

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
MICDROP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply.

If both are possible as your answer, the second option seems easier, do I just have to think about how to upgrade the Windows server?

0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you want to do the minimum configuration and preserve historical performance data then choose the 2nd option. Just upgrade the OS via Windows 2012R2 ISO file.

Always make sure to have a valid backup before any action.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should note that 5.5 is a long time out of support, if your environment is running production workloads you should consider upgrading to 6.7 (vCenter Server and ESXi) - VMware will be unable to support you if your OS upgrade causes any problems.

Assuming you are willing and able to upgrade, migrate to using the vCenter Server Appliance rather than vCenter Server on Windows (which is now deprecated)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Horodam
Contributor
Contributor

Did you successfully update Windows Server 2008 R2 (vCenter installed) to Windows 2012 R2 ?

0 Kudos