VMware Cloud Community
SQTBETA
Contributor
Contributor

Move Alarm Definitions from VC to ESX

Hi,

I have alarm definitions defined on Vsphere and I would like to desactivate alarms for specific hosts but the option is grey out on ESX's.

I would like to move these alarm definitions from Vshpere to ESX's.

Is it possible to export alarms from Vcenter and import it into ESX ?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik you can't have alarms directly on an ESXi node, you need a vCenter for that.

That Alarms are grayed out probably means that they are defined on a higher entity in the infrastructure.
Like for example the vCenter, Datacenter, Folder.

You can define Alarms on individual ESXi nodes, but you need the vCenter for that.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Alarms are a vCenter function, not an ESXi function.

You can define alarms at different levels of the vCenter inventory, so if you want an alarm to only apply to a subset of your hosts you could put those hosts in a folder or resource pool or cluster.

Reference: Create or Edit Alarms

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SQTBETA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have vCenter because the alarm definitions are defined on it, I would like to change level of the alarm definitions from vcenter to esx level and I don't want to recreate the alarm definitions.

Is it possible to export it from vsphere level and import it on esx level

Thank you

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can use something I did in Alarms – Moving Them Around

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos