VMware Cloud Community
Houseofdreams
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 6.7 Strange keyboard problem

Hi,

this morning, I noticed something very strange. I was installing a new VM (linux) but when the time came to enter details (username/password/...) my keyboard didn't work anymore inside the VM console window.

I then tried another (allready running) VM, same problem (also linux based). Next I tried a windows server based VM, there I could use the keyboard/mouse without any problem... Again, tried another linux VM, nothing. Except I still could use the crtl-c (xC) keyboard combo, that got displayed on the console window, but no other keys were accepted, not even the enter key.

I tried another browser, the same issue. I tried the VMRC console option (trough vmware workstation) same issue...

I then rebooted my host PC, now it's working again. Anyone also had this problem before? Seems really strange that only the linux based VM's didn't accept keyboard strokes and the windows based VM's had no problem?

Any ideas are welcome!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine.

Did you by any chance had any Java Remote Consoles open (iLO/iDRAC/UCS/etc) or several RDP sessions? I've found this issue in the past and it is because of the Java consolses locking keyboard access to certain keystrokes and combos.

0 Kudos
Houseofdreams
Contributor
Contributor

Not that I'm aware of, but it could always be possible. Was a bit freaked out at the time :smileygrin: After rebooting my pc that I used to control the web based management, it all worked again, so it sounds reasonable.

Can this javascript locking still be a possibillity, when it only locked me out of typing in linux based VM's an not windows VM's?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Weird stuff.
Honestly i never use console on linux VMs, but i've seen clipboard locking and some weird stuff happening when you have multiple consoles open.

0 Kudos
Houseofdreams
Contributor
Contributor

Once installed, I also only SSH into linux servers, but you have to install them one trough the console, or am I missing an option to do that another way, not using the esxi console?

0 Kudos
Jo123543
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing the same thing on my end, try to install a new vm, ubuntu...
I cannot put the language on the initial setup. 
Try the iso from the previous release, same thing append.

Move my vm to another host.
Reinstall using the default esxi(was using dell image)
Same thing happen.
Try on my other other that i know was working.
Same thing.
Could it be because of flash stop working since 2021?

0 Kudos