VMware Cloud Community
SANKETHSHETTY
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion of Replicated VM

Hi,

We cannot migrate replicated VM using "move-vm" powerCli command.

Can anyone let me know how to migrate replicated VM between vvol datastores, i think we have use vsphere API methods.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Are you getting error messages?

Which vSphere & PowerCLI versions are you using?

Does it work from the Web Client?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
SANKETHSHETTY
Contributor
Contributor

Powercli version :

Version    Name                                Repository           Description                                                                                                                            

-------    ----                                ----------           -----------                                                                                                                            

12.0.0.... VMware.PowerCLI                     PSGallery            This Windows PowerShell module contains VMware.PowerCLI

I am using vSphere 7.0  and it works well with webclient.

The question is using move-vm how do i migrate a vvol vm by specifying a target Storage policy and target Replication Group. In move-vm we dont have an option of passing replication group.

PS C:\Users\shetts2> Move-VM -VM $VM -StoragePolicy $Policy -Datastore $DS -Verbose

VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Move-VM" on target "Moving VM 'Arj_RDF_test'".

VERBOSE: 8/14/2020 3:59:18 PM Move-VM Finished execution

Move-VM : 8/14/2020 3:59:20 PM Move-VM The operation for the entity "Arj_RDF_test" failed with the following message: "A general system error occurred: PBM error occurred during PreMigrateCheckCallback:

Fault cause: pbm.fault.PBMFault

;

Missing or empty replication spec information in policy"

At line:1 char:1

+ Move-VM -VM $VM -StoragePolicy $Policy -Datastore $DS -Verbose

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Move-VM], SystemError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.MoveVM

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

This resembles somewhat the error Cody describes in VMware SRM and the PBM & PreCloneCheckCallback error

On the other hand, since you said that it works from the Web Client, the service is probably running.

But I suspect you should look in that direction.

Perhaps the vpxd log contains some more information?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
SANKETHSHETTY
Contributor
Contributor

wondering if it is supported via powercli since i dont see any option to pass a target replication group(-RG) in the move-vm

0 Kudos