VMware Cloud Community
MonkeySleeve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install VMware can't find Local storage disk on PowerEdge R410

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying I'm by no means a SysAdmin so my knowledge of this subject is pretty limited. I'm a Software Engineer and for our next sprint we wanted to reuse an old PowerEdge R410 server for testing by installing VMware on it and hosting different virtual servers.

So I'm trying to get VMware vSphere 7.0 installed on it but I keep running into the problem that when I have to select a Disk to install it on, it shows there is no disks to select. I first downloaded the VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi ISO) image and burned it to a DVD. And I also tried the DellEMC Custom Image for ESXi 7.0 Install CD since we thought it may have something to do with the Raid controllers? It has the hardware raid controller so it should be compatible.

Like I said, my knowledge on this subject is very limited, so any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The most recent version supported on the R410 was 5.5 Update 3:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Seems you might be able to run 6.x depending on the specific model/CPU:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/95amce/esx_65_dell_r410/

However, 7.0 is more strict on IO device support since vmklinux driver support was not carried over into the latest version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The most recent version supported on the R410 was 5.5 Update 3:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Seems you might be able to run 6.x depending on the specific model/CPU:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/95amce/esx_65_dell_r410/

However, 7.0 is more strict on IO device support since vmklinux driver support was not carried over into the latest version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
MonkeySleeve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply, I'm currently using the Free Trial for 7.0 but I can't seem to find one for 6.5.

Would it be best just to try and download the DellEMC Custom Image for ESXi 6.5U3 GA Install CD and install that?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can still get the 6.x vSphere Hypervisor: Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor for Free

You could also try the Dell-specific image.

Who knows if either will work on your hardware though...

0 Kudos
MonkeySleeve
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried the Dell specific image and the installation succeeded so thats good!

0 Kudos