VMware Cloud Community
TinySword
Contributor
Contributor

After centos6 is converted from xenserver7.6 to vmware, the cursor blinks in the upper left corner of the black screen

1、After centos6 is converted from xenserver7.6 to vmware, the cursor blinks in the upper left corner of the black screen. This problem needs to enter rescue mode and then modify the root=/dev/xxxx part of the grub file according to the comments, and then it can start normally.

2、I am not sure whether this solution is universal, I found it by observing the grub file of a virtual machine that started normally.

1.png

2.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What tool did you use to do the conversion?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Do you have VMware tools installed?

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CentOS6 is horrible outdated and needs out-of-tree drivers while any moden linux distribution has everything needed in  the upstream kernel, the initrd of CentOS6 is also a possible problem, years ago Fedora wasn't even able to boot from a converted ext4 rootfs and after a dist-upgrade as Fedora swicthed to dracut it was no problem, you need to prepare the migratoon and the probem is that virtually nonody is still running CentOS6

theeasiest way would be setup a new verital machine and rsync the data, moved a complete company that way form Apple to Linux

0 Kudos
TinySword
Contributor
Contributor

I use VMware-converter-en-6.2.0-8466193

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Converter Standalone area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos