VMware Cloud Community
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE ESXI 6.0 TO 6.7

HI TEAM UPGRADE MY ESXI TO VERSION 6.7 AND SOME VMS LOSE THEIR NETWORK CONNECTION

MY SERVER IS

Model: Lenovo Flex System x240 M5 Compute Node -[9532AC1]-

CPU Model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v4 @ 2.30GHz

Vendor: LENOVO

BIOS: -[C4E136E-2.70]-

IDEA OF WHAT CAN IT BE?

19 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

DO NOT WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SCREAMING.

IDEA OF WHAT CAN IT BE?

No, not unless you provide more information.

silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

sorry daphnissov

I had to delete interface and create it back there it worked for me

Is it a bug in the update?

did they have any similar experiences?

I still have to update 3 nodes to 6.7

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi silvio. Have you checked hardware compatibility? For your particular hardware you should upgrade BIOS VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Also, take a look at IO hardware compatibility. You can see how to do it with this link Determining Network/Storage firmware and driver version in ESXi 4.x and later (1027206) | VMware KB

Also, try updating VM virtual hardware versions and VMware Tools for an optimal performance

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please do not post in ALL CAPS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

hi lucasbernadsky

ti Does this mean that I should update my bios? to actualize

Fault Tolerant(FT)

UEFI Secure Boot

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, it´s not just that. Keep in mind that your hardware is compatible with ESXi 7.0 only with that BIOS version. VMware guarantees that your hardware will work perfectly with that combination of BIOS version and ESXi, but they cannot assure you it will work otherwise.

Also, another topic as important as the BIOS version is the drivers and firmware versions. All IO operations rely on that, including NICs which you said you are having problems with. So please make sure all your controllers are compatible and in compliance with esxi 7. This link will show you how: Determining Network/Storage firmware and driver version in ESXi 4.x and later (1027206) | VMware KB

(I made a mistake in my previous answer. I sent you the wrong link. This is the correct one https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=server&productid=40155&rele...​)

0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

I am upgrading to version 6.7 not 7.0

with the assessment tool it came out that everything was compatible

It came out that everything was compatible with 6.7

srv1.PNG

red1.PNG

storage.PNG

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry! my bad, 6.7. anyways, the procedure is the same for any version.

Those screenshots driver versions are the same you are running? Have you found any pattern in common for those VMs that loses connectivity? maybe OS health, VMware Tools, virtual hardware, etc.

Also, the VMs runs fine in the same ESXi with an older version? if not maybe check VLANs, but I don't really think that's the problem

0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

to move the vm to host 6.0 node,  the problem not present  

is something with version 6.7 

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you try migrating a VM from a 6.0 host to a 6.7 host, then disconnecting and connecting vNIC? also try upgrading VM tools when the VM is on 6.7 esxi. (Try it with a test VM first)

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine:

some questions:

- When you updated the host, did you use the same NICs and Switch ports? if not, VLANs might have changed
- Are you using vSS or vDS? If vSS are you using conistent naming for portgroups?

- Have you checked if vNICs are connected on the VMs? Might be possible that they are not connected
- Have you checked if MTU settings are correct?

0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

of 26 machines only 3 had this problem

VM CentOS 7 migrate to host 6.0 ok

VM Windows Server 2008 R2  update the Vtools ok

VM Windows Server 2016 delete a create new  Virtual network, (after a while he loses connection again)

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

what type of network adapter are you using, vmxnet 3?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

What kind of adapter do you have?
Do you have VMware tools updated?

0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

yes update vmware tool 6.7

0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

yes i am use vmxnet 3  ia monitoring  the status

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

We are okay on tools/vmnic issues

Do you know if this issue VM Windows Server 2016 delete a create new  Virtual network, (after a while he loses connection again) correlates to the time VMs are being migrated?

Since it is a new network maybe the vlan backing is not correctly propagated troughout the cluster.

Can you check?

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi silvio, which VM tools version are you running? I've heard that 11.0.1.14.773994 have some connectivity problems.

Also, when Windows VMs lose connection, can you disconnect and re-connect the vNIC? just to see if the virtual switch ports are in conflict.

Are you running NSX or just VLAN?

0 Kudos
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

yes i'am update vmtool mi vnic  vmx3

0 Kudos