VMware Horizon Community
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Dynamic Environment Manager 2006 (10.0) has been released

We're happy to announce that Dynamic Environment Manager 2006 (10.0) has been released, with the following new features:

• New version number scheme Smiley Happy
    Aligning with the switch in version numbering across the Horizon suite, DEM has adopted the YYMM version number (and, yes, I know it's August... Smiley Happy)
    Mainly for docs and marketing collateral; old-school 10.0 versioning lives on as well.
  • Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition
    We now offer a Standard Edition for Horizon Standard and Advanced customers, with the full Personalization feature set, and a subset of User Environment functionality: Drive Mappings, Folder Redirection, Logon & Logoff Tasks, and Printer Mappings.
    pastedImage_33.png
    The full-featured product is now known as the Enterprise Edition.
  • Elevated Tasks
    Elevated tasks are an extension of the existing privilege elevation functionality, and make it much easier to elevate launches during logon (without requiring shortcut-in-the-Startup-folder workarounds.)
    pastedImage_34.png
  • ADMX-based Computer Settings
    ADMX-based Settings meets Computer Environment.
    pastedImage_35.png

The new release adds support for Windows 10 Version 2004 (May 2020 Update), and the Windows 10 support matrix​​​ has been updated accordingly.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So, maybe I'm wrong, but rather than adding new features or cleaning up that awful UI, you guys are taking away features. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

What features are they taking away, if you have DEM before 8, you have probably enterprise. Standard is the replacement for persona management  which this looks to be a huge step up from.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MaxStr,

Not as far as I'm aware. We added two new features (elevated tasks and ADMX-based computer settings), and added a new Standard Edition, making a subset of DEM's functionality available to Horizon Standard and Advanced customers (who previously were not entitled to DEM, so I guess that counts as "adding new features" for those customers?)

The full-featured product is now known as the Enterprise Edition. No features were taken away from that.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok, I see now. I thought you were moving the full featured product to Enterprise users only, but I wasn't aware it was already that way.

My other complaint still stands, though. The UI looks nothing like any other VMWare product, and it still looks like a Fling. The UI needs a lot of work, for both new and experienced users.

0 Kudos