VMware Communities
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM fails to start, no visible errros

My VM started giving me trouble, when opening it it would act like it was going to start it up and I'd get a black screen and Windows never starts.  I'd have to use task manager to stop the VMWare, I thought I had a corrupt VM, so I got a new one from a software partner thinking I'll start over with a new VM, but same results, black screen, Windows never starts.

I de-installed and re-installed VMWare Ver 14.5 twice now.  I tried running vmware.exe in admin mode, and at first I thought I was good, the VM opened, Windows started and I logged in.  Then I shut down Windows and simply restarted the VM without ever leaving VMWare and no good, starts to reboot, but I get stuck with a black screen.

Don't know what to try, vmware.log file attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved, I delete the contents of C:\Users\[{user-name}\AppData\Local\Temp.  Turns our VMware stores a lot of data here.  Once I shutdown all the background processes I was able to delete this data, so far it seems good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Host OS and version?

Guest OS and version?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host OS is Windows 10 Pro

By Guest OS you mean the VM?  Windows Server 2016 Standard

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct for the guest.

However, what *version* of Windows 10 is on your host? 

0 Kudos
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Pro version 1909

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What do you mean by "I got a new one from a software partner"? What did you get exactly, and who from?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We work with Siemens and they have a library of VM's that we get from them.  We've doing this for years I'm working with one of them now.

But... this started happening with a VM that I've been working on for over a year, I thought maybe I had some corruption, I had deleted some snapshots (I had a lot of them and didn't have any user for), maybe I screwed something up, I'm not an expert with these kinds of things, so I thought, well, I'll just get a new VM.

But the behavior is the same, opens to a black screen and just sits forever.

So now I'm thinking it's something to do with my VMWare application.  That's why I de-installed and re-installed but no luck.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you or any of your colleagues tried the VM on another system?

0 Kudos
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not yet, but it's worth a try, no suggestions at this point?

0 Kudos
kvanderstel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved, I delete the contents of C:\Users\[{user-name}\AppData\Local\Temp.  Turns our VMware stores a lot of data here.  Once I shutdown all the background processes I was able to delete this data, so far it seems good.

0 Kudos
EdgarWilliam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

install the latest version of VM ware.

delete the temp files in the folder.

restart the VM ware so the problem will be solved

0 Kudos