VMware Horizon Community
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Appvol 4.1 template Size

Hi All,

So updated to Appvol 4.1 and thought let’s add different size template.

following the following instructions which I’ve been doing since 2.11

VMware Knowledge Base

so issue I have do that with Appvol 4.1 and when you use the template it assigns a drive letter every time thought I would assign 20 packages bam 20 drive letter taken this is not ideal so I’ve gone with the standard template.

works as normal all assigned to C:\snapvol

im now using 20gb templates for stuff that could be 500mb any ideas?

is it just me stuffing it up or this maybe a bug ?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Natestack​,

I agree with Ray_handels​ that there should be no file space concerns with a 20GB disk for a 500MB application because the disks should be thin provisioned and should only use the space required by the application.  However, you shouldn't be seeing drive letters if you are properly configuring the templates.

I recommend filing a service request with our Global Support Services team so they can help you with the drive letter issue.

Thank you.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I have seen the same issue with the base template because it has an issue that was fixed in version 2.x.

Make sure to do follow this KB article. VMware Knowledge Base

That being said, it does not really matter to have a 20GB disk for a 500MB application because the disks ate thin provisioned so you won't lose that space.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

thanks for the update never seen this issue before did a bucketload of apps and had to restart again

when next back at work will confirm if your link worked or not.

maybe with 4.2 or what not fixes this issue for future.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Don't think it will fix this issue because it's the template disks that is the issue.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah since 4.1 it’s alright still some bugs to fix.

I was just disappointed doing a smaller template and since 4.1 just gave it a drive letter.

here is hoping the 4.2 etc fix the template in order to shrink the size as this will be a requirement for my VHD in the future.

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Natestack​,

I agree with Ray_handels​ that there should be no file space concerns with a 20GB disk for a 500MB application because the disks should be thin provisioned and should only use the space required by the application.  However, you shouldn't be seeing drive letters if you are properly configuring the templates.

I recommend filing a service request with our Global Support Services team so they can help you with the drive letter issue.

Thank you.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
0 Kudos