VMware Communities
zaphod2
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 15.5.6 // Windows 10 Scaling function

Hello!

I very often changes between Laptop Monitor and Desktop Monitor. Both displays have different screen resolutions.

The Virtual Machine with Windows 10 changes resolution correctly but the Scaling percentage remains fixed.

So when changing the display I have to change within the runing VM every time the scaling percentage within the VM.

I would expect this happens automatically.

Yours

Holger

10 Replies
Maxvatar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

exactly same issue here. It doesn't work on VMWare Pro 15.5 with Windows 10 and unfortunately also on VMWare Pro 16, to which I upgraded yesterday. The feature "VM > Settings > Hardware/Display > Automatically adjust the virtual machine user interface size" works for me only for Windows 7 in virtual machine, but with confirmation dialog "VMWare Tools has modified the user interface size settings..." and user must confirm "Logoff/Logon" procedure.

In case of Windows 10 I would assume, that this could be done on the fly without Logoff/Logon.

Any advice from VMWare support team ?

Thank you

Best regards

Tomas

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, it's a known issue since WS 15.1.0,  the DPI sync doesn't work since win10 1903. The issue is on MSFT side, still waiting for their feedback....

Best Regards,

Yan

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A WA provided in WS 15.5.1 Release notes: https://rna.vmware.com/document/preview?documentId=1494#2339944

DPI scaling settings cannot be synchronized to virtual machines running Windows 10 19H1.

The display scaling settings of the host machine cannot be synchronized to Windows 10 19H1 virtual machines even when the Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine option is enabled. This issue does not affect earlier versions of Windows 10.

Workaround: Grant the current user the read permissions required to enable DPI synchronization.

1. On the affected virtual machine, open Registry Editor.
  2. Select the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers key.
  3. Right-click the Configuration key and select Permissions.
  4. Click the Add... button and add the current user.
  5. In the Group or user names pane, select the current user and click the checkbox in the Allow column next to Read.
  6. Apply the configuration and restart the virtual machine.
Maxvatar
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thank you for the hint, it works for me FINE !

Have a nice one

Tom

0 Kudos
DrWhoIs007
Contributor
Contributor

hi, any idea to do this when using a microsoft account as login?

my user does not show in the permissions list

i gave admins the read right but it does not work in my case (workstation 16 and win10 20H2)

0 Kudos
zaphod2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Unfortunately in my case there is no change of behavior after adding the rights as mentioned above.

Since Win10 changes the resolotion AND scaling percentage based on monitor information, for me it seems that the Win10 VM gets no furher monitor information to do this automatically.

The host Win10 system does. 

Question is now based on which monitor information win10 changes resolution AND scaling factor. I did not find the information. Maybe this information is not provided within the VM.

Yours

Holger

0 Kudos
zaphod2
Contributor
Contributor

With version 16.x same behaviour.

Remark: Powertoys recogizes the Monitor and therefore adapt the zones correctly.

0 Kudos
zaphod2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everybody!

Still suffering about that. Every time after changing between Laptop display and external monitor I have to change the scaling factor. The host does ist automatically. The host switches between 150% (external monitor) and 250% (laptop display) automatically.

The VM does not. Because many applications have problems after changing the scaling it is necessary to reboot the VM additionally. Brrrrr.

Holger

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to change the permission for this key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Microsoft changes the default permission for those keys.

0 Kudos
DrWhoIs007
Contributor
Contributor

that's everywhere to be found as solution which obviously does not work

Tags (1)
0 Kudos