VMware Cloud Community
silvioayala04
Contributor
Contributor

VCENTER CLUSTER

Good afternoon everyone,

I have the following query:

In the vCenter, within the Cluster, can hosts coexist with different versions of vSphere?

Does anyone have documentation and / or experience with it?

I have searched the vmware page and did not find much about it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Greetings to all!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Yes it is possible to make a cluster with different versions of ESXi.

You need to check some points based on the versions of Esxi you need to merge into the cluster.

In this post the same problem has been solved (take it as an example)

Mixed ESXi versions in cluster

If you write me which versions you want to join, I can be more precise.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

The can, but they shouldn't, the best practice is to have the same hardware and same versions of everything so you know you have a consistent experience. Also remember vsphere is a combination of center and esxi , so when your doing searches about the esxi hosts use that

Mixing versions of ESXi in the same vSphere / vSAN cluster? | Yellow Bricks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Theoretically, yes.

But different ESXi versions often means different hardware - which usually means that DRS is restricted and even HA might not be happy.

If you want a more detailed answer, you would need to post the ESXi versions and also hardware information (particularly about the CPUs)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hosts that are added to a DRS cluster must meet certain requirements to use cluster features successfully

DRS Cluster Requirements

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos