VMware Support Community
secops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Skyline reporting issue resolved weeks or months ago

Skyline is reporting a Critical Alert that a virtualcenter is running low on space:

2020-08-04 1438 VC running out of space on root partition.PNG

This issue was resolved some time ago. There is plenty of space available when I looked on friday:

2020-08-04 1438 VC running out of space on root partition amount used.png

The only directory that has significant space used is /storage/archive. According to https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57829 there’s a bug regarding this that was resolved in vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1b. This server is running a build well past that.

The collector is green in Skyline and running version 2.5.0.0, and as per the image up above last analysis was yesterday - 2020-08-03 23:11

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello secops

The screenshot shows the root partition '/' is at 80 %, it is above the 70 % threshold recommended by VMware, hence the recommendation is valid.

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello secops

The screenshot shows the root partition '/' is at 80 %, it is above the 70 % threshold recommended by VMware, hence the recommendation is valid.

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos
secops
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Aditya2018

Looks like you're right. It's not covered in the KB but the journald files had blown out to 1GB in total.

I ran a vacuum and that removed much of the space. I've put in the weekly cron for it to vacuum, retaining only 14 days worth of logs.

Poking around it looks like there's a bunch of obsolete directories and files taking up space (such as /usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-ui/server/work-old/Catalina/localhost), but I'm not going to touch those without VMware support.

I am marking this issue as answered.

0 Kudos