VMware Cloud Community
klcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

datastore wih no UUID or vmfs label but has vmfs partition

I have a esxi 5.5 host with 2 raid 10 arrays.  Each was mounted as a datastore.  We had a drive go bad.  replaced and it rebuilt, but when the host came up only one datastore was there.  The partition is still there on the second datastore but it appears not to have a UUID or a vmfs label but shows it has a vmfs 5 partition.  The partition table was corrupt but the backup appeared good so I did the fix and that worked for that part.  The host will allow me to mount it as a new datastore but that will erase the data.  I would like to recover this datastore or at least the data from it.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
klcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the header hex dump

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Whats the output of

esxcfg-volume -l

?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please read Create a VMFS-Header-dump using an ESXi-Host in production

With a dump like that I can tell you how your chances for a recovery are.

Ulli

0 Kudos
klcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

It is blank when I do that command.

0 Kudos
klcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I had a family emergency and have been out the past two days.  Here is the hex dump you requested.  Well it will not let me upload as it is too big even zipped.  is there a drop box or something I can send it to?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I am quite busy at the moment - if you want me to look into it call me - that link requires credentials that you did not supply.

Ulli

0 Kudos
klcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

Try this one as skype does not work on my pc as we use teams. 

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

sorry - got bad news for you.

This dump is mostly empty with some areas taken from a Windows-system with a SQL-database - some areas that look like FAT32 and just one tiny area with VMFS-metadata.

What ever happened here did a solid job and took no prisoners ...

If the rest of the volume is damaged in the same style - then I cant do anything here.

If this is the result of a problem during a raid-rebuild

then you will need to consult support from the vendor of the raid-controller.

Sorry for the bad news Smiley Sad

Ulli

0 Kudos