VMware Communities
RockstarComms12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 12 Pro - possible to disable input grab but allow input to VM?

Currently we are using ESXI/vSphere v5.5 for work and it seems that the VMs will allow input without "grabbing" the mouse (do not have to use CTRL + ALT to release mouse/keyboard back to host.  However, I have not been able to find a way to do this on Workstation 12 Pro.  I have found ways to disable the grab altogether, but then there is no input into the VM/Guest.

Is there a way that the guest will accept input when the mouse is over that VM window but also not grab the input (preventing the need to use the keyboard shortcut to release control back to host)?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This thread should help: Re: Is it possible to automatically grab and ungrab the cursor for a single VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That's usually a function of having VMware Tools installed inside the guest OS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
RockstarComms12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, this was my observation on the setup we have for work so I took the liberty of installing VMware Tools on both of the VMs I am using at home but it did not seem to make any difference even after a couple reboots.

Attaching an image of the Vmware Tools version and build to this reply.  You will see that the service is running and I do see the icon in the system tray of the VM.  I have the preferences set yo automatically update if there are any VMware Tools updates, as well.  Not sure what else I might be overlooking to get this to work.

Host OS is Windows 10 Pro, guest OS is Windows 7 Ultimate -  if that has any impact on this issue.

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Our native consoles always exclusively grab the mouse/keyboard when you're interacting with the VM.  The only way to get the focus back to your host is to use the ungrab hot key (ie Ctrl+Alt by default), or if you have Tools installed properly you can move the mouse outside the VM console area and it should automatically ungrab and give the focus back to your host.

On ESXi/vSphere, the VMRC native consoles work the same way as the local Workstation consoles in this regard, but you can also access VMs via a web-browser using our WebMKS consoles.  Those do allow you to interact with the VM without exclusively grabbing input, because web browsers don't support exclusive input access the same way.

I can't tell if what you're describing is the WebMKS behavior on ESXi, or if the automatic grab/ungrab when you move the mouse in/out of the VM window isn't working for you?

If the automatic grab/ungrab isn't working, but you have tools installed, I'd check your "Gaming Mouse" mode in the UI Input preferences, and try setting it to "Never" instead of "Automatic" and see if that helps.

If you're looking for the WebMKS behavior on Workstation, we don't currently support that.  If you're desperate, there's some config option hacks that enable something similar as an experimental mode, but it was so broken we couldn't expose it in the UI and I'm not sure what state it was in for WS 12.

RockstarComms12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi BM,

I am referring to the fact that on Workstation 12 Pro with VMware Tools installed, the mouse doesn't seem to move outside of the VM window without pressing CTRL+ALT.  Attempting to just 'move' the mouse cursor off the VM window and onto the host machine does not happen, the mouse stays at the end of the window, like it is stuck on the edge of a monitor/display.  Please see attached video showing the issue more clearly.  I tried to voice-over the recording but unfortunately the audio did not save. 

Here is the setting I think you are referencing, from the config file;

mks.gamingMouse.policy = "gaming"

Is this the setting that you recommend setting to "Never"?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This thread should help: Re: Is it possible to automatically grab and ungrab the cursor for a single VM?

RockstarComms12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks scott28tt​.

mks.gamingMouse.policy = "dynamic" from the article you provided did the trick.  I am not sure why the UI set as automatic didn't have the same impact but this is now working perfectly. 

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you had the config option manually set in your config/vmx file, it overrides the UI settings.

0 Kudos