VMware Cloud Community
TaoeDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't ping across virtual network between two guest VMs

I'm experimenting with comms between guests.

I've created a new virtual network, and a new virtual switch.

I have two Win 2012r2 guests. I have added a VMXNET3 adapter to both, and after installing VMware tools the OS's have loaded device drivers for them.
I have configured them to have fixed IPs of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively.

When I load up the Network page, I see this

VM_Network.png

so it looks like the the VMXNET3 adapters should be talking to each other, but... they can't ping each other.

I have not set a DNS on either machine, but I assume this is not necessary as I'm using their IP numbers, not hostnames.

The physical adapter (vmnic1) isn't connected to anything but again I assume this isn't necessary as I'm not trying to connect to anything external.

What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you check your virtual machines' firewall in order to allow ICMP?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you check your virtual machines' firewall in order to allow ICMP?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Disable Windows FW and see if you can ping. If so enable FW again and than activate the ICMP Echo IPV4 Rule.

Regards,
Joerg

TimSheppard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Every time I’ve seen this it’s been down to the Windows firewall. Don’t just stop the service either as that won’t work.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Microsoft introduced the FW with WinXP SP2. This must be new for some folks Smiley Wink

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
TaoeDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, that sorted it. Thanks. Feeling a bit stupid now 😉

But I'm puzzled. The reason I didn't suspect the firewall is that when I initially add a VM to my main network (192.168.1.0) it can ping and be pinged without disabling its firewall or changing its rules. Does Windows relax the rules automatically for the first network it finds on installation?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Might be possible that during the OS installation the FW isnt in place and becomes active later.  Keep also in might that Windows have 3 FW profiles like Domain, Private, Public and each can have its own rules/settings.

Regards,
Joerg